Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2010, 9:47 PM   #1

Default Zoom Macros for Clint

Clint I cropped these and sharpened on click in Windows Photo Gallery...from 8ft away and zoomed in ~300-600mm...
1.)

2.)

3.)
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2

Clint I think I messed up here I was sitting here looking at the FZ100 and I see it has a switch for AF-AF Macro-MF on the Outer Lens barrel...is that what you were talking about? The AF Macro mode?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 7:48 AM   #3

When I had the FZ100 that confused me a bit. Your pics are sharpen than what mine were. I know that when I used the smaller mp setting it got pretty grainy looking. It was probably my settings. I used the macro button on the dial but I really couldn't tell much difference setting the macro focus on the barrel.

Here are a few more of mine.

Using the extended zoom in macro got to be grainy. I like to look at these photos on my HannsG 28 inch monitor. So I see quite a bit of detail. The extended zooms seemed to accentuate the pixelization. Not sure if you can see it on the linked picture here.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:12 AM   #4

Nothing wrong with that picture Clint...I do see the pixelization, but that can be removed by getting closer with the camera and using AF Macro mode on the Menu not the switch on he barrel?
Clint even the DSLR's will do the above...only to a lesser degree...what settings were you on?
I was on Standard w/ +1 Sat -2 NR +1 Sharp 0 Contrast...

And your DOF was reall shallow compared to mine was deep...this is most likely due to the zoom I was using and the lens was at F/8 or something similar and yours was at f/2.8 - f/4? thats one reason for the OOF areas on the flower accenuating the pixelization I seems..

Last edited by LTZ470; Aug 31, 2010 at 9:16 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5

I think I was using Nature - film mode - not sure if it was -1 or-2 in the NR. After I started taking pictures inside with lower lighting and flash I decided I'd stick with the FZ35.

Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:00 PM   #6

Did you ever try RAW Clint to see if the Noise & IQ were improved?
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:41 PM   #7

No, but I read that RAW was a bit better but then you have to convert them and that's something I wasn't too interested in doing.

Getting an FZ100 isn't out of the picture for me but I think I'll let the veterans play around with it for awhile. Maybe there will be a firmware update to improve the IQ and hopefully the price will come down. I also haven't ruled out the FZ45 yet.

Old Aug 31, 2010, 4:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
No, but I read that RAW was a bit better but then you have to convert them and that's something I wasn't too interested in doing.

Getting an FZ100 isn't out of the picture for me but I think I'll let the veterans play around with it for awhile. Maybe there will be a firmware update to improve the IQ and hopefully the price will come down. I also haven't ruled out the FZ45 yet.
But the FZ35 is "In like Flynn"! for sure...it still surprises a loy of people...it wouild probably be safe to say buying an extra FZ35 is a good idea...