Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:22 PM   #1

Default Action Photos with DMC-FZ10

See: http://pmj.smugmug.com/gallery/47024

This is a series of (3) pictures taken in sequence of the same airplane, all at 12X zoom, to illustrate how quickly the camera can capture a moving target in a sharp image.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:12 AM   #2

Paul, that's a nice post, but planes move very slowly and they are "outside". I have a bit of a different dilemma with the FZ10 that you can read about in this string:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=17621
Scroll down to Normcar.
I appreciate your photos but also understand the difference between following a jet landing or taking off outside and a basketball player running about inside.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:26 AM   #3

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I did not post these pictures to support or refute anything others have been complaining about, and in fact I had never read the posts you indicated. I put the pictures up because it is in fact an action sequence made at maximum zoom telephoto. Nothing more than that.

As far as moving slowly, a jet aircraft crossing directly overhead at 120 Kt. on short final is not all that slow, especially when at maximum telephoto, you are trying to follow it, and spinning around on your heels in the process to keep it in view.

Regarding the complaints people have been reporting with the FZ10, I for one am very happy with my camera and my purchase decision.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:49 AM   #4

Default Jet Photos

Nice photos, clear, no blurring. Impressive that you could do that. Thanks for posting them
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 5:55 AM   #5

Paul

Those are very nice shots of the airplane. I think you got a winner there. Have you tried any indoor flash photos yet? I'm interested in seeing how that camera does indoors. Apparently there are some who feel it does not do to well inside. Be interesting to see images taken inside as almost all I have seen were done outdoors.

Great phots, thanks for posting them for us and good luck with the camera !
Buckeye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 7:09 AM   #6

Thanks. I haven't taken any indoor pictures yet that are significant. I did buy the Panasonic external flash, and it tested out OK, but I have nothing worth posting up yet.

In 10 days we'll be taking a week-long cruise to Mexico. I probably will take several hundred pictures, both inside and outside the ship, and will put some in a gallery when we return.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:27 PM   #7

Default FZ10 indoor capabilties

The FZ10 works pretty well indoors, but not as well as some other digicams. For best exposure results, set ISO at "Auto" and use the flash. The internal flash is fine within a room, even a large one in a house. If room lighting is reasonable, you may not even need the flash, but will need to use Manual White Balance to help the camera figure out your lighting (incandescent, flourescent, etc).

I don't take pictures at sporting events, but discussions from people who have done so indicate that a powerful external flash may or may not be sufficient, depending on conditions.

Note that, if you set ISO to "Auto", the camera may select ISO 200, or in some cases, even ISO 400, and picture quality may suffer from noise as a result.
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:05 PM   #8

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I did not post these pictures to support or refute anything others have been complaining about, and in fact I had never read the posts you indicated.

With all due respect I'm not "trying" to say anything. I am offering another side of the coin for honest and responsible potential buyers of this camera to ingest and chew. I don't wish these people to see the wonderful aircraft shots and think that in a different setting, such as a gymnasium or auditorium, this camera will perform in a similar positive fashion. I'm not attempting to refute the "outdoor" abilities of the camera, when lighting is fine, I am attempting to give another side of the story to those who may be reading your post and translating all of this success to an "indoor" setting as well. The Panasonic FZ10 has a great zoom feature which I love, and it works wonderfully. Other than that, though, the camera is probably average. It certainly doesn't rate well on a face off with my Canon G-5 when the zoom feature isn't put into the fray.
I hope you have a wonderful trip and that you take lots of "indoor" photos to show both me and others that this camera is able to perform wonderfully indoors as well as outdoors.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote