Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 17, 2003, 5:58 PM   #1

Default No FZ10 for me

The other day I went to Henry's to try the FZ10.

What can I say, I stood there for half an hour zooming in and out... Then I made up mind. I really liked the camera but it had one []big[/b]drawback. Yep, you guessed rigut - its size.

For me to enjoy a camera like an FZx I must be able to take it with me where I go out and lugging it around must not inconvenice me.

Unfortunately, the FZ10 does not qualify. It doesn't fit in my coat pocket, it doesn't fit in my pouch and in order to squeeze it in my side-bag I have to take everything else out.

I'm not a photographer. I don't go out specifically to take pictures, for me it is a secondary (although nice) activity. So I need a grab-and-go camera. Otherwise, I will not use it much.

All these wonderful features just sitting on a shelf, now that's a depressing thought...

OTOH, stabilized 35-420 @2.8...

I'm gonna get myself an FZ1/2. Maybe a used one. Anyone wants to sell?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:42 AM   #2

There are a hundred cameras out there that can fit in your pocket, but none of then have a 12X stabilized optical zoom. If you feel having that kind of lens capability is beneficial to you, then the FZ10 Lumix is a great value. If it isn't all that important, then by all means don't buy it.

In fact, compared to any SLR, digital or analog, the Lumix is quite small and surprisingly light in weight. Look at it next to the new Canon Digital Rebel. It's 2/3 the size, a lot lighter in weight, and that's comparing it to the Canon with an 85mm equivalent lens. Take a look at the size and weight of any non-zoom, non-stabilized 420mm telephoto lens. It's five times bigger and heavier than the Lumix, camera, lens and all.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 2:00 AM   #3

Default comparison with Rebel

You might want to compare the images from the FZ10 to the images from the Rebel, too ...
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:14 AM   #4

The FZ1/2 does seem to be the right size for me.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:51 PM   #5

Default Canon or Panasonic

If your priority isn't substantially in the area of zoom then stay clear of the FZ10. I own both Canon G5 ( same general Digic guts as the Rebel since both are Canon) and the FZ10. If I needed to take an excellent photograph from a reasonable distance, and my life depended on a decision between the two, I'd rush to the Canon so fast that even the Panasonic's zoom lense wouldn't be able to catch me. I used to slobber for the FZ10, now I slobber for the Rebel. I really should never slobber at all, but I'm human just like everyone else. I like to slobber from time to time even if it gets me in trouble (hint, hint...FZ!0)
P.S. - Even garbage can be stabalized. Don't worry FZ10 advocates, I'm not saying that that camera "can't" do a good job from time to time, only that you really need to work at it a heck of a lot longer than you would with a Canon, and you need to keep your fingers crossed alot more.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:35 PM   #6

yes i agree i slobber for somthing that fits in my wallet and gives me the same quality as a canon hmmmm fz10, if you learn how to use it its a great camera
krazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 12:21 PM   #7

yes i agree i slobber for somthing that fits in my wallet and gives me the same quality as a canon hmmmm fz10, if you learn how to use it its a great camera

I'm learning to be happy with both cameras. The Canon can't even begin to compare in zoom and the FZ10 can't compare in clarity and overall picture quality in ISO 50 or 100. My G5 is noisy at higher ISO levels but I don't plan to even use that feature so it's redundant. If I need light I have the 220EX flash with TTL. I'm a happy camper with both cameras. Their duties are different but they are both more than adequate within the realm of their individual duties. Ack, I sound like a drill captain!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote