Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 24, 2003, 7:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Guy
It says Canon EOS 1D for the camera. What does that have to do with the Panasonic FZ-10 ?
FZ10 is ten times smaller and ten times cheaper, and ten times easier to handle one compact camera than lot of pieces for this clumzy Canon :mrgreen:
Vaards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 9:22 AM   #12

Default other advice

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/60401

Regards
http://photoshoot.site.voila.fr/
Nathcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:08 PM   #13

Anyone tried cloudy white balance when shooting indoors? It seemed to work pretty good, warms up the colors a bit. I don't shoot inside gyms and rarely need flash to reach moere than 10 feet.
FZ10 does it for me even with the lens hood left on.
Ramblin_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 1:47 PM   #14

Default Hey Nathcoo

Go here for some indoor test shots...

http://www.onlinephotographers.com/y...;threadid=8069
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 3:33 PM   #15

Hello-
Relative to indoor shots at low luminescence...
A couple of suggestions I have learned with my FZ10
1). You must allow the gyro in the thing to reach full potential. You can tell this by when the "hand" in the viewfinder truns white. Takes a good 10 seconds, sometime slightly more or less. Makes a big difference
2. Use flash up to about 10 feet; increase flash level as allowed by pressing top of thumb button 3 times, then right side.
3). If too far for flash. Again, be sure to allow gyro warmup. Use ASM mode. If no action, set aperature to highest level that allows shutter speed of about 1/60 to increase depth. If action, set shutter to min of about 1/100 and aperature will auto to 2.8. It will tell you if not enough light (indicator turns red). Then experiment with it at slower shutter speed, holding steady until you maximize your results. I have found that the gyro stabilizer allows you to increase light with good pic up to about 1/4 sec shutter speed. Again, you can't do this just after turning on the camera because the gyro isn't up to speed yet. That is the key.
4). I get excellent indoor shots on most instances (90%) up to 10 feet just using flash on P mode. I don't like waiting for the thing to reach stabilized speed, but I have traced most problems to that.
5) Take all shots on 4 megapixil resolution; any less is a waste of time.

George
georgez opinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 8:56 PM   #16

Re: georgez opinion

Thanks, george, for your suggestions. Over the holidays I decided to purchase a Canon Digital Rebel because it has a greater ISO range and it affords me the opportunity to purchase faster glass in low lighting environments. I think that a 1.8 50mm lense will give me what I need in the gym. I'm quite happy with what I have seen so far with the rebel but have yet to test it in the gym situation.

I'll try your suggestions with the FZ10 but won't be too upset if it doesn't perform according to my wishes. I'll use it outdoors and have fun with the telephoto there where I'm sure it will work fine.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:03 PM   #17

Jimmy's closet shots

Thanks, Jimmy, for those closet shots of yours. That's not quite the forum that I was referring to when I began this string (closets from 15 feet). I appreciate your input and would "really" love it if you could provide me with a few successful shots in a high school gym, action, movement inclusive.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:10 PM   #18

I appreciate all of the responses to this string and will certainly try out those ideas that seem worthwhile. So, here is a little trick that I've discovered with my own FZ10. As we all know, who own one, in manual mode (not aperture or shutter priority) the screen goes black and you can't focus if you are set to, say f-8 and 2000 shutter. I've found a little trick where I can use a strong flash with these settings and "see" what I'm pointing at. I set my composition in the "P" setting, then slip it to the "ASM" setting immediately before clicking. It takes a bit of practice but one can compose a great shot, at 1/2000 shutter and 8 aperture. With the Canon 420 EX flash the result is impressive (not over exposed at all). Please have a look: http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm
Old Jan 6, 2004, 12:30 AM   #19

Default Re: Challenge to FZ10 owners on "indoor" shots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
1. Use of external flash allowed
2. Must be hand held (otherwise, what's the point in spending the extra money for MEGA OIS?)
3. Must be under flourescent lighting and photographs from more than 10 meters away.
4. Red eye is okay as long as the image isn't grainy or blurred.
5. Image must be in action and not blurred (such as running or something similar...not walking fast).
6. No condition on what ISO sensitivity you use as long as the picture looks good (not grainy)

I look forward to seeing if any FZ10 owner is able to meet this challenge!
Norm, please post a list of cameras (+ lenses, if DSLR) that, in your opinion, can meet your challenge. For each entry, please include the total size, weight and price of the equipment and an estimate of how many FZ10's will fit in each measurment.

Just for the record:
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM - $450, 1.4lbs
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM - $1600, 3.2lbs

IMO, the Canon 300D would need the faster lens to achieve good results. The 1Ds with its huge sensor should have no problems with the slower one. I leave calculating the final price and weight as an excercise to the reader...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
Todah!
Al lo davar...
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 6:18 PM   #20

Default normcar's workaround for manual flash shots

Norm's workaround (back 2 posts) reallly works and it is relatively easy to impliment, I.E., since the index finger works the zoom, your thumb is free to easily move the program mode dial from "P" to "ASM" The screwy part is that the camera will focus and take the picture just right even though the both the EFV and LCD are totally back when you impliment the work around.
In thinking about how this camera is designed, it does make sense. The attempt is to make the equivalent of a TTL viewfinder, a la, SLR variety, only utilizing EFV or LCD to display the image instead of optics. So, as Parallel observes, if you place it in aperature priority, it lets you compose w/flash because it's programed to sync at 1/60 on flash. It's just not smart enough (designed) to show ambient light for composure in M mode and then stop down/ reset shutter for the actual shot.
Bob, couldn't Panasonic fix this by having the EVF/LCD default to 2.8/ 1/60 for ASM mode (essentially delaying or overriding data from the venus engine) and then have it stop down/ re-sync to the values you set as you focus/ or snap you pic. I don't see why this couldn't be done relatively simply, possibly with firmware change only.
Meanwhile, we'll just have to make do with Palallel's work around if you can use apature priority or else Norm's for full manual.

That said, still have managed to take many excellent shots at the CU basketball game last weekend and I still find this a fantastic camera for the ordinary non-pro enthusiast (like me). I just love this camera!
georgez opinion is offline   Reply With Quote