Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2004, 3:05 PM   #21

Actually the workaround I have used with the FZ10 when shooting in the dark is -

Put it in Program-AE mode ... EVF is viewable ... half-depress shutter ... switch to "manual focus" mode.

Now you can switch the dial to ASM mode and shoot the picture ... because the focus is now known ... even though EVF is dark.

Max
umenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 12:09 AM   #22

Re: Alexo. I think with the Digital Rebel that I am getting close to what I'm looking for. I ran a few test shots the other day which you can view at http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm

I believe that with some testing of various settings and playing with different positions around the court with lighting in mind I will be getting much further ahead than I ever was with the FZ10 or the Canon G5 in this setting (which was the focus of this string in the first place). The Rebel response is quick and the manual lense manipulation of the SLR type digital cams is, to me, a huge breath of fresh air.

In the above shots I used the following:
- Digital Rebel
- Canon 50mm f/1.8 and 75-300 4-5.6
- Canon 420EZ Speedlight
- no tripod

I won't provide a further list because the Rebel seems to be approximating both my monetary abilities and my goals in this dark and dingy gymnasium.

I'll still play with the FZ10 of course, and I'm sure it will be a bundle of fun outdoors. I'm quite happy with my Canon G5 for quality photos in a less demanding environment than sporting events.

Thanks for your input here!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 1:50 PM   #23

I picked up a couple invaluable tips from this thread, especially Georgez suggestions on indoor shots at low luminescence and the discussion of Norm's workaround. As a new owner of an FZ10, I'm less interested in comparing the FZ10 to other cameras now and more interested in sharing tips and techniques. This discussion has been very productive. This FZ10 is more fun than I ever expected.

To me the FZ10 is a bargain just for the lens. With film, my wife and I carried an SLR with a 28mm wide-angle lens and a moderately sized zoom. We also kept a point and shoot camera in the bag. In digital, it makes sense to me to carry an FZ10 and a second camera that excels in wide-angle optics. I'm leaning toward the Oly 5060 but in no hurry to buy because for one, I just bought a great camera and every day brings lower prices and new options. I think my wife would give up film if I bought her the Oly 5060 though. I would gain by having that wide angle lens and no more film costs. (I'm sure she'd give up film if I sprang for a Rebel.)

Thanks again for the tips. I'm thrilled with what this camera can do. It has renewed our interest in photography. We're shooting lots of pictures indoors (because it's zero degrees outside) and having loads of fun putting into practice the low light techniques from this forum.
FrankFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:27 PM   #24

Frank FZ

Good post, good attitude, good camera, I agree. I wish you and your wife loads of good shooting ops and I'm sure that she will eventually come to terms with the digital environment. I certainly had no desire to go to still imaging until the prosumer digital cameras got to the level they have now reached. My only problem is trying to slow down (3 new cameras in 4 months is a bit drastic and perhaps somewhat insane, but I think I've got a handle on it now, right after I buy my new...).
Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:25 AM   #25

Norm - 3 cameras in four months! Is that what I got myself into? Actually I knew it all along. Thats why it took me so long to take the plunge into digital. Physics demands tradeoffs. The image-stabilized Leica was an easy choice for telephoto. The harder decision is choosing a second camera that excels in speed, low light, and wide angle because there are so many cameras to choose from. I had pretty much narrowed things down between the G5 and 5050 (and now 5060) but still can't decide, and now the Rebel is almost within reach. I also want a pocketable point and shoot that the kids can use too (like a Canon A80). When I finally choose cameras to round out the three categories, telephoto, wide-angle, pocketable, I believe I will make better decisions after having practical experience with the FZ10.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankFZ
The image-stabilized Leica was an easy choice for telephoto. The harder decision is choosing a second camera that excels in speed, low light, and wide angle because there are so many cameras to choose from.
Sounds to me that a DSLR with two lenses will suit your needs.

Get the 300D or another Canon (used, perhaps?) then add the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM lens (on ebay).
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 2:24 PM   #27

FrankFZ

I'm careful when using the word, Canon, around here because some people seem to think I'm a spy for the company. However, here I go again...

I don't think you will be displeased with the G5 until you hit the ISO 400 mark. I'm very happy with mine. However, it seems to bottom out somewhat at that light sensitivity. I've heard that the G3 is fine throughout; since the G5 is essentially a clone of the G3 you might consider that route, unless of course you're looking for more megapixels.

I purchased both wide angle and telephoto for my G5 as well and both seem to work fine. However, since purchasing the Rebel I haven't done alot of experimentation beyond my G5 and FZ10 comparisons (some more comparison shots will be posted soon on my site). I must say that I see little difference between G5 and FZ10 outside the low light gym environment. Of course the 12x zoom on the FZ10 is like a nice tickle toy.

P.S. - Since you refer to the Rebel and cost considerations I thought that you might be interested that I'm going to test the very inexpensive Canon 50mm f1.8 lense tonight at a school basketball game in the gym that inspired this string. I'm going to try to exclusively use it no matter what. I'll post the results on my site as soon as possible.

Here's the quote from PhotoZone that inspired me:

Just take a look at a lens which is considered to be absolutely boring by many beginners and very important by many professionals: the 50mm standard lens. Stopped-down to f/5.6-f/8 it is as sharp as it can get in the 35mm format and all for a bottom-end price (at least for a 50/f1.8 or so). As soon as you buy such a lens you should do one or two field trips with this lens alone. Apart from its amazing performance zoom users will discover a very interesting side-effect: a new sense for perspective.

It may be a week before I get to post some of this stuff on my site because I have a weekend engagement coming up. But I'll get it up.

Take care! http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm
Old Jan 14, 2004, 8:51 PM   #28

Alexo - you are surely correct. It is time to begin educating myself of DSLRs, and I will start reading the Canon EOS Digital SLR forum and watching ebay. The only problem is that I'd like to have two bodies and two lenses rather than one SLR with two lenses so that my wife and I could both be snapping pics. Two DSLRs - thats pricey. The allure of digital point and shoots, and the logic behind my FZ10 purchase, has been that I can get three cameras (that includes the pocketable camera) for the price of a DSLR plus lenses.

Norm - Canon is worthy of your support in my opinion. I was a tried and true Nikon owner with film but I really admire the Canon digital gear.

Tip? I use the 2 second timer on hand-held portraits in low light at ISO 50 and it has improved my sucess rate.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 1:00 AM   #29

Frank

My brother bought a Nikon 5700 this fall and he rushed about all Christmas snapping here and there on his little 4 megapixel Canon Powershot, complaining about how his Nikon couldn't autofocus in the dim light of his living room near as well as his little ol' Powershot. Ack, there I go again.

By the way, if you are interested in having a quick look at my Rebel basketball shots from this evening, I invite you to the site. I have some FZ10 and G5 postings there as well.

http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/index.htm

Edit: Another string in the Panasonic forum mentioned using an external flash unit with a rotating head where one can adjust the light force for the FZ10. And here am I with a Canon 420EX with rotating head. I just tried this idea out in my living room and it works great here. I'll test it out at the next basketball game and see what happens. I suspect that new test shots may offer some hope to the FZ10 gymnasium dilemma. I'm looking forward to giving it a try and I'll see what I can do about performing that test within the next few weeks.

Hope remains!

Have a good one!