Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 18, 2003, 12:24 AM   #1

Default Challenge to FZ10 owners on "indoor" shots...

This post was recently edited in order to "clarify" what I wish:

I do not believe that this camera can perform well at all indoors under flourescent lighting, such as a gymnasium. I have seen a number of good outdoor shots in the forum, yes, but I have yet to see any evidence that the camera can perform well indoors under less than perfect lighting; and this has been my experience to date. Is it possible for this camera to perform well under the following rules? You tell me...here are my rules to you pro FZ10 photographers, if you wish to meet the challenge that is:

1. Use of external flash allowed
2. Must be hand held (otherwise, what's the point in spending the extra money for MEGA OIS?)
3. Must be under flourescent lighting and photographs from more than 10 meters away.
4. Red eye is okay as long as the image isn't grainy or blurred.
5. Image must be in action and not blurred (such as running or something similar...not walking fast).
6. No condition on what ISO sensitivity you use as long as the picture looks good (not grainy)

I look forward to seeing if any FZ10 owner is able to meet this challenge! I dearly "hope" that some FZ10 owner can prove me wrong and show me that I have some hope here. The zoom feature is great on this camera but I am not happy with its performance in "this" particular environment. Maybe some of you pros can help me out.

Thanks guys and gals! Todah!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2003, 3:38 PM   #2

AS noted in a couple of other threads, I have found how to use the external flash without the evf going black. Simply set it to manual aperture-priority.

The shutter speed seems to be then set at 1/60sec for any aperture, although the camera will sync to flash at a higher speed. The fact is that with a powerful flash and setting the ISO to 50 and the aperture to F5.6 or less you will not be troubled by ambient light making the object blurry.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2003, 5:20 PM   #3

The shutter speed seems to be then set at 1/60sec for any aperture, although the camera will sync to flash at a higher speed. The fact is that with a powerful flash and setting the ISO to 50 and the aperture to F5.6 or less you will not be troubled by ambient light making the object blurry.

Yes, but I like the option of "full" manual control when shooting my basketball or volleyball. I'm using my Canon 220EX speedlight which gives a good blast (I wouldn't want any bigger blast or I'd be kicked out of the gym) and I tried every ISO available, including 50, as well as aperture from 2.8 to 8, playing with this and that setting. Even in sports mode I had problems, both with and without the external flash. I just don't think that this is an "indoor" camera, period. This problem doesn't translate to other situations and I have been quite happy with results "other" than in the gym. The zoom is wild and crazy and I look forward to getting the telephoto that pushes the zoom up to 630mm. If zoom is your goal, then this camera would be a good choice I think. I know that I won't sell mine. I thought about selling it at one time because it couldn't perform in the gym, then I began reconsidering. This camera is untouchable on zoom!
Old Dec 19, 2003, 9:37 PM   #4

norm you employed by canon becuase of what ive seen you must be
krazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 1:27 AM   #5

Norm, it sounds like you have tried about every setting to get those indoor shots without success. Its possible you have a defective FZ 10 I dont know. But, from what I see in a lot of the forums and posts, everyone likes the 12x zoom lens, and its macro ability. I've seen fantastic macro, and great outdoor photos from that camera, but I have yet to see some ordinary indoor every day kind of flash photos taken with the FZ-10 built in flash unit. I read where the max flash recommendation is 6.8 feet. Thats very weak which is why they probably added the hot shoe.

I for one would love to see some indoor flash photos posted, right out of the camera without any post processing. I also think Panasonic fell way short by not having a RAW mode like almost every other digicam in its price range. But thats another topic in itself. In my opinion the FZ-10 is a good camera with a great lens but I would like to see the flash pics if anyone has any they can post. Maybe Panasonic will come up with a firmware upgrade which might help as well.

Good luck , I hope you can get that issue resolved.
Buckeye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 5:03 AM   #6

Default No way

No way ... to do this you need a reflex with suncro x + a very good lens (2.8) and a pro Flash.
Nathcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:20 PM   #7

Re: crazyhorse...you must be employed by canon.

Nope, I have a G5 that I'm quite happy with as long as I stay within the 50 to 100 ISO range. I love the 12x zoom on the FZ10 but wish that it could perform better in the situation mentioned above. I'll keep trying different things.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:24 PM   #8

Nathcosays, No way ... to do this you need a reflex with suncro x + a very good lens (2. and a pro Flash.

I appreciate the input. Perhaps I'm asking too much from this camera. That being the case I'll do the best I can with the Canon and leave the FZ10 for outdoor shooting.

I'll keep trying though. Part of the fun is the process of learning what's possible and what's not.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:34 AM   #9

Default Perhaps I'm asking too much from this camera

Perhaps I'm asking too much from this camera

Yes !
Take a look at the setting of a good amateur page down here :
http://dipictures.free.fr/sports/bas...dex_basket.htm

iso = 800
Shutter speed: +-1/400 sec
Aperture: 2,8
Flash: External E-TTL High speed sync
CFn 15: 2nd-curtain flash synchronization

Regards
http://photoshoot.site.voila.fr/
Nathcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:03 AM   #10

Very nice photos on the basketball court....but correct me if I"m wrong... It says Canon EOS 1D for the camera. What does that have to do with the Panasonic FZ-10 ? It cost more for a single lens for that EOS 1D than it does for the entire FZ-10 !!...
I'm sure if we all could afford the EOS 1D we might consider buying one. But in the real world some of us are limited as to how much we can spend. But thankyou for that photo link I did enjoy the photos, they are fantastic.
Buckeye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote