Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:47 PM   #1

Default FZ100 zoom focusing

Hi,

I'm posting looking for some help for my mother, who's just bought an FZ100. Its a step up for her from her Ricoh compact, but she's having some trouble with getting the FZ100 to focus where she wants it to focus when zoomed right in on 24x on auto mode. For example, recently she tried to focus on a bird some distance away (she reckons it wasn't THAT far) and whilst the stone in the front was in focus the bird was not, despite being careful to half press the shutter. She's got a bit discouraged with it which is a shame as she was so excited to get the camera.

I was wondering if anyone could provide any focusing tips I can pass along or whether its a fault with the camera or a known issue with the panasonic? Apologies that this is a bit vague, as I don't have the actual shot referred to and I'm a complete camera setting novice myself.

AshL
AshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:20 PM   #2

If you were in auto mode you were most likely in multiple point focus and not spot focus. Try putting the camera dial to "P" then hit the quick menu at the bottom left of the rear of the camera and picking spot under the focus menu. Hope this helps.
scoobydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it on Would you recommend that she switches to spot focus for all long zoom photos?
AshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4

If your going to zooming a lot then give it a try, personally I use spot focus most of the time as what ever I take a pic of is usually right in the middle. See how you get on with it.
scoobydude is offline   Reply With Quote