Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:11 AM   #1

Default Low Light gig/bar photos

Hello, new member here. I had the FZ100 for about a week or two now. I am still learning how to use the FZ100 and on top of that I am pretty much a beginner at photography.

My husband is a musician so I took the camera out last week to take some photos and videos at night. The lighting on the bar's patio was less than desirable. Some colored lights hidden behind the speakers to the right + very distracting streetlights in the background. That's all. It took me a while to find the perfect setting. I wanted to get the colorful lights on stage but getting those meant less/no flash, which was pretty much impossible without the motion blur.

I finally settled on a few basic settings.
1. iA with Flash. Those came out with a golden tint and slight motion blur.
2. Panning with Flash
3. P F3.2, 1/30, EV+1, 400 ISO
4. I also experimented with another setting that showed up as a Nightscene icon with a small i in its corner. I need to figure out how I got that setting. It is not the regular Nightscene setting in SCN - any ideas?)

Most of the photos came out 100, 400 and 800 iso and I even had a few at 1600. Here are the results:

The full set re-sized, no exif data. Let me know if you want exif data on any of those. The interior bar shots are at 800ISO.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolnam/...84262998/show/

Two photos with EXIF data. I only re-sized them did not change anything else.
1. i-Nightscene mode with flash:
http://www.flickr.com/...otos/dolnam/4963548755/meta/in/set-72157624767465899

2. SCN - Panning with flash.
http://www.flickr.com/...otos/dolnam/4963581375/meta/in/set-72157624767465899

DolnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:42 AM   #2

Welcome Dolna, really want to thank you for posting these...great shots...1st photo is very nice for the FZ100 being higher ISO...and the second is a good capture very clean and sharp...thanks again for sharing these!

Excellent shots...look forward to seeing more from you and your FZ100...

Dolna your FlicR Photostream is awesome with geat shots...really liked the ferris wheel at night!...so many good shots!!!

Last edited by LTZ470; Sep 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:22 PM   #3

Dolna-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Thanks as well for posting some impressive FZ-100 photos. I, of course, do not know any of the details of the bar venue in which you were photographing. But you will notice that glare from your FZ-100's built-in flash does show up in a lot of you Flickr posted shots.

The bar venue is a great opportunity for using an external flash on the FZ-100's hot shoe with a diffuser. Or better yet, if there is a white ceiling in the bar, a bounce flash technique would produce even better results.

Job well done.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:01 PM   #4

Thank you for the compliments and the suggestion! One more new thing I leaned today!
One of the main reasons why I chose the FZ100 over the FZ35 is the hotshoe. Of course with the camera being a bit pricey I have to put buying the external flash on hold. (any suggestion for cheap ones are welcomed) I am also planning to buy the external microphone at some point. My priority was adding a class 6+ card and a some filters.

Right now, as weird as it will look I will be using the milk-bottle diffuser suggested at dpreview.

I am heading back tonight to make some more videos and photos. I will post new ones of both.
DolnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:23 PM   #5

Thanks Dolna...you labor is much appreciated!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:43 PM   #6

Dolna-

We have had user reports that the Bower model SFD-9260, available ant B & H works well with the FZ-100. But I have not used that particular external flash unit, myself.

The other option would be the Olympus FL-36, but while that is a very good external flash that I own, it is more expensive.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote