Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:14 AM   #1

Default fz38 vs. fz100 !

All you lucky new FZ-100 owners, it would be interesting to tell us please, from your fresh experience, what more or better can one camera do better than the other? alexander
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:41 AM   #2

Alexander,

if you look at IQ between the 2 camera the FZ38 is better form the early samples. Pixel packing issues that the zs7 has against the zs3 seems apparent with the FZ 38 and FZ40 and fz100 with the early samples. So I would not buried the fz 38 to quickly.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:26 AM   #3

From what I am hearing the FZ 100 has the same size sensor as the FZ 35/38 and thats not the best scenario when increasing the MP's. You really want a bigger sensor like the DSLR's have to have better image quality and low light performance.

The other options in the FZ100 are nice and better; but are they worth an extra $200? I don't believe so and thus I'd go DSLR if I was to pay $500 for a camera.

DSLR = bigger sensor = better image quality = better low light performance. Entry level models are $500 at Walmart.

Last edited by Chris0383; Sep 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM.
Chris0383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:02 AM   #4

Alex...We own all 4 cameras now...ZS7-FZ 35-40-100... and I owned the ZS3 also...

And no it is not correct that the ZS7 has poor IQ compared to the ZS3, always ask for examples that they have taken themselves...these forum jockeys don't even own the camera in question...so why would you want to believe them?

I HAVE photos from ZS7 that I'll put up against any ZS3 photo...already posted them here at Steve's and on DPreview and the ZS3 naysayers subsided quickly even on DPreview....funny when you post photos that you have taken yourself...that forum jockeys get very quiet...the reason is simple they have no photos to post to back up their incorrect statements...

With that out of the way...the answer to your question...each one has it's limitations and I'll post some results later today....
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5

Kibaris,

If you look at the control test environment. The FZ35 compare to the FZ100 quite well against.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/panasonicdmcfz100/

Last edited by shoturtle; Sep 10, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
All you lucky new FZ-100 owners, it would be interesting to tell us please, from your fresh experience, what more or better can one camera do better than the other? alexander
One is Canon 7D, One is FZ100, One is FZ35...how much difference you see between a $2200, $500, and $300...you pick..warning this is not a controlled test environment...this is real...out in the field shooting...

Last edited by LTZ470; Sep 11, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:51 AM   #7

Alexander,

LTZ's samples pretty much express my sentiment not to buried the fz35 yet. Except for the 7D shot there FZ's compares quite well. So you need to decide is that difference worth the cost of upgrade.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:07 AM   #8

Ok, image quality is high, for all of them... I am asking in general, ease of use, characteristics, add ons and all the rest such as view finders, menus, lens etc.
a.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:26 AM   #9

Kibaris there are a lot of peple that will try to tell you one thing or another about the FZ38-FZ100-FZ40...I own all of them and shoot all of them...I don't know if others here have done that or not...

The FZ35 is hands down the easiest to use...the FZ40 is close on IQ on the FZ35 99% of the people will not be able to tell...if you are proficient with cameras the FZ100 is a decent performer at the long end of the zoom it has better IQ than the FZ35 and actually shows more detail than the FZ40 of the subject...these are field test I have done myself as an amateur...

I have used the samples from image resource...DPR...etc only to find they are not always what they seem...they are a guide only in controlled conditions...

If I didn't have any of the cameras and had a choice I would take the FZ40 hands down as it is going to be a performer for sure and the 24X is great!

I am really enjoying the speed and extra accessories on the FZ100...I will always have an FZ35 and even have an FZ50...the FZ35 is easy to learn and can help someone advance marginal skills...it is very consistent, more so than the FZ100...

Here's a few that you can look at the difference...the only way the poster above knows the difference is he is using an EXIF software to give the details...

Last edited by LTZ470; Sep 11, 2010 at 1:39 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
Ok, image quality is high, for all of them... I am asking in general, ease of use, characteristics, add ons and all the rest such as view finders, menus, lens etc.
a.
They are equally easy to learn on the controls, the menus are easy and straight forward...the manual however has a lot of the details buried in odd places on several items, but you can always inquire on the forum here and get help...