Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
The FZ35 is very easy to use but the FZ40 is also...the FZ100 takes more work than those two...but for $375 I would definitely have to get the FZ100...then buy a used FZ35...I got one like new from B&H the other day for $229 shipped...you would have the best of both then as the price on the FZ40 will drop throughout the year...
Well, she's more of a 1 camera kind of person...crazy, I know!

Thanks for the quick reply
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleehobbit View Post
Well, she's more of a 1 camera kind of person...crazy, I know!

Thanks for the quick reply
Then the FZ40 would be a good choice at that price....99% of the population won't be able to differentiate between it and the F35...The FZ40 is laid out like the FZ100, so if she decided to get it later, then that would be an advantage to already knowing the layout of the FZ100...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:36 AM   #23
Super Moderator

I must admit i was pretty skeptical about how this shootout would turn out. But the FZ40 exceeded my expectations, and looks better than the FZ35 (not by much), but even similar image quality with a lengthened focal length is pretty impressive. I think it would be a great choice for your sister purplehobbit, and a great choice for anyone in the bridge superzoom market now. The FZ100 right now, can't justify the 100$ extra imo, but if they get the firmware update we are all expecting, it will be the creme de la creme of the bridge's. hopefully they figure out the metering and get the image processor handling the MOS a bit better soon.

anyways, LTZ thanx for the head-to-head, been interesting so far, look forward to more, especially some shots when the day isn't quite as bright and contrasty.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
I must admit i was pretty skeptical about how this shootout would turn out. But the FZ40 exceeded my expectations, and looks better than the FZ35 (not by much), but even similar image quality with a lengthened focal length is pretty impressive. I think it would be a great choice for your sister purplehobbit, and a great choice for anyone in the bridge superzoom market now. The FZ100 right now, can't justify the 100$ extra imo, but if they get the firmware update we are all expecting, it will be the creme de la creme of the bridge's. hopefully they figure out the metering and get the image processor handling the MOS a bit better soon.

anyways, LTZ thanx for the head-to-head, been interesting so far, look forward to more, especially some shots when the day isn't quite as bright and contrasty.
I think she might like the FZ40 if it's a bit easier to use. Price between the FZ40 and FZ100 for me is only about $10, otherwise I couldn't justify the retail price difference either.
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post

Dustin we will just take a break from the heat! ...hoping it will cool down by next weekend...would love to make a trip to the dunes...I have a camera mount on the RZR and I would like to mount the FZ100 and record some video while out duning...this weekend it's looking like 98! that means in the sand is 100+...too hot for this ole codger...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:42 AM   #26

LTZ,

Have you had a chance to shoot any higher-ISO photos with the FZ40? According to the only review I can find for it (www.photographyblog.com) it has a lot more noise in photos at 400/800 ISO than the FZ35. You can really see it in their sample images. Just wondering your thoughts...
ftlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post
LTZ,

Have you had a chance to shoot any higher-ISO photos with the FZ40? According to the only review I can find for it (www.photographyblog.com) it has a lot more noise in photos at 400/800 ISO than the FZ35. You can really see it in their sample images. Just wondering your thoughts...
All the comparision samples with the Fruit and the Baby Diaper box are ISO400...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:55 AM   #28

Quote:
All the comparision samples with the Fruit and the Baby Diaper box are ISO400...
Comparing those 3, it looks like the FZ35 has more accurate colors (the orange is more orange and the lemon more yellow). Agree?
ftlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlee View Post
Comparing those 3, it looks like the FZ35 has more accurate colors (the orange is more orange and the lemon more yellow). Agree?
Yes and easily corrected by bumping up the saturation on the FZ40 & FZ100...if you like more saturated colors...it can also be done easily with PP...the FZ100 takes PP much better than the FZ35-40...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:54 AM   #30
Super Moderator

LT.

you think you could summarize briefly the differences between the 40 and 100 for those that don't read spec sheets all day. i.e. video differences, handling, controls, etc. nothing fancy/complicated, just brief hands-on differences in your opinion, i think there will be many ppl coming to this thread trying to decide between the 2, and there is more than just IQ to consider.