Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:34 AM   #41

thanks for the comparison shots. i think the color is a little more realistic on the 35 than the 40. on the other hand, the 40 has a jog dial, and i believe the 35 does not - or am i mistaken?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:40 PM   #42

If FZ40 provides an option in the setup to disable retracting the lens/tele when the camrea is energized/de-energized that would be worth a lot!
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:29 PM   #43

Great thread. Nice work.

I just had my Canon SX 10 stolen last week and I'm looking.

I would like a pretty fast fps, a super zoom and be able to take auto pictures, but have a manual setting as well. I take a lot of landscapes, action shots of my dogs at the beach, moon shots (one reason I would like a super zoom), macros and some night shots.

I narrowed it down between the Fuji HS10, Nikon P100 and the FZ100. Then I found this thread.

I am an novice, and I can't tell too much difference between all the comparison pictures. Sure, here and there, but not to be a deal breaker.

One thing that did concern me was the metering, and that someone said the FZ100 is a little more complex to operate. Is it any more to handle than an SX10?

If you were looking for a camera with those features, what would you choose?
Logansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:43 PM   #44

I had a Canon SX10 too. It was a great camera but, in my opinion, it doesn't stack up very well against the FZ100, which is now my go to camera. Some advantages of the Pany are burst modes, HD video, longer zoom (including the nice Intelligent Zoom feature).

No, it isn't complicated. It will take great shots right out of the box. You will really like it, I think. My uses are similar to those you mention.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
If FZ40 provides an option in the setup to disable retracting the lens/tele when the camrea is energized/de-energized that would be worth a lot!
It's called "Zoom Resume" turn it on in the Menu...Page 33 in the manual...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:25 PM   #46

Every day I'm more and more impressed with the Fuji HS10. I've seen some real nice shots at 30x, which is really what counts when looking for a super zoom cam. Many cameras have long zooms but they fail to perform at the long end. I think the FZ100 is also a capable camera. The problem is that it kinda replaces the FZ35 (well, in reality, the FZ40 is the FZ35 replacement with the FZ100 adding some features and more MP) but because the FZ35 is such a successful model, it makes it difficult for any new model to shine. I'd go with the HS10 as it offers more reach and it has a manual zoom, which is awesome!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post

Just press the "Preview" button to view pics on the LCD and then lens will retract after a few seconds.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:14 AM   #48

Thanks Jack. I just purchased the FZ100 last night. I pick it up Friday.
Logansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:58 PM   #49

I guess it is because I am an old geezer, but I see very little difference in IQ. Should I be looking for something specific?
Harveydad is offline   Reply With Quote