Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Just bought an FZ38...

Hi,

I've just bought an FZ38 earlier this week.

I was looking for a new camera with a longer zoom range and better picture quality as I'm going on safari for my honeymoon in April next year. The FZ38 seems to fit the bill so hopefully I'm going to get some really good photos out of it.

I'd also looked at some other cameras including the new FZ45/FZ100, but there seems to be a lot of doubts over image quality where the FZ38 seems to get nothing but good reviews (Unless people are comparing to a DSLR). Having said that I've looked at some of the images people posted on this forum and the FZ100 photos still look pretty good to me. Still the cheaper price and better IQ of the FZ38 is what sold it (not to mention the large number of satisfied customers).

The FZ38 is a bit of a step up from my previous point and shoot cameras - an Olympus u700 and a Pentax Optio S. In terms of features, the FZ38 seems more like a DSLR than a point and shoot. This might have put me off, but I've heard some good things about the iA mode - hopefully this means you can still get great shots without knowing what you are doing. I also want to learn how to use the camera to it's full potential though. I've read through the instruction manual a couple of times already - It's a shame they don't supply a print version.

I also invested in a Hoya HMC UV filter. What do people use to keep their lenses and filters clean? I've not worried about this too much with my previous point and shoot cameras, but the lens is much bigger on the FZ38 and it isn't as well protected with it's lens cap.

My only negative comments about the camera so far is that the supplied software doesn't work with Windows 7 x64. I can access my photos just by plugging the USB connection in or by using my card reader though. It's a bit strange that you don't seem to be able to delete the photos via the camera USB connection - not a big worry though. I didn't buy the camera for it's free software or for it's ability as a SD card reader/writer.

I'll need to play about with the camera a bit to form a full opinion on the camera, but so far so good...
Wiseman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I have Windows 7 x64 and my FZ35 works fine. I don't use the software that came with the camera. I mainly use the Windows import feature and it will move(erase after importing) the pictures from the card onto the PC. I mainly use Picasa and Faststone for my software.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:13 AM   #3

Wiseman82 sounds very similar to me (apart from the honeymoon bit )
I've just bought Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson , hopefully i'll learn a lot from it
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:45 AM   #4

Quote:
I've just bought Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson , hopefully i'll learn a lot from it
Correct choice Congraculations and have good shoots with FZ38, don't forget to read forum, there are a lot of spot informations.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
Correct choice Congraculations and have good shoots with FZ38, don't forget to read forum, there are a lot of spot informations.
Indeed , i've picked up lots of tips here already . It's great that others are so helpful
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Welcome to the forum. I have Windows 7 x64 and my FZ35 works fine. I don't use the software that came with the camera. I mainly use the Windows import feature and it will move(erase after importing) the pictures from the card onto the PC. I mainly use Picasa and Faststone for my software.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm already using Picasa - it's a good program for viewing and organising photos. I'll give Faststone a try. I'm not sure what Panasonic's own software is like, but I wouldn't have expected much from it anyway.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:28 AM   #7

I've just snapped a few photos of my future mother/father in-law's Springer Spaniel today. This is my favourite:

Link to full-size image

It's quite difficult to get the dog to pose for a photo - he doesn't like to stay still for long. I just snapped what I could - mostly in the iA and the P modes.

I've been reading through a lot of the advice and tips on this forum - the people here seem very helpful and friendly.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:25 AM   #8

You may want to checkout this thread which is about how to post images at forum.

Lovely dog , good luck!
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:43 AM   #9

If you are using the latest version of Picasa is very easy to create a free web album. Then you can drag and drop the pictures from the web album in your postings here.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:27 AM   #10

I just used sugarsync for upload as it's the tool I use for online backup so my photos are stored there anyway and created a smaller version of the image for embedding. I'm happy to upload directly to the website or use Picasa if those are the preferred methods though.