Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 13, 2010, 8:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
Great shots you have! Did you use a tripod? If not, how did you avoid any movement of your hands, or any wind breeze?alexander
I used a Monopod for these to help me steady these old shaky hands (Drink too much coffee)...but since i got a Carbon Fiber tripod I have been using it more...they are really worth the extra cost and there are some excellent cheaper ones on the market now...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:31 PM   #12

how do the monopods work, exactly? if you're holding a monopod, isn't that almost the same as just holding the camera?
justcallmejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:53 PM   #13

Wonderful shots! Just how do you find these creature who will pose for you? Everytime I point a camera at an insect it flies away; if I point at a flower than a hurricane suddenly blows up!!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:24 PM   #14

Wow! Just joined in here, with a new FZ35. One reason for a new camera was to shoot butterflies, all macro shots. I'm looking forward to the season of butterflies, and trying my new FZ35. Also, I want some insect (bees) shots.

Assuming the 40 to be similar to the 35, how did you set up the camera. I am not finding a specific setting for macro (my Canon required separate settings). Will the camera adjust by itself? What mode is best for these kinds of shots?

Thanks.
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:18 PM   #15

justcallmejuice,

Quote:
how do the monopods work, exactly? if you're holding a monopod, isn't that almost the same as just holding the camera?
Monopods are really effective for eliminating camera shake. They are a long leg that extends to the ground, so there's no shake. The camera can still move a bit in the horizontal plane - a monopod won't work for a really long exposure - but for macro or moderately low-light conditions they're ideal.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:43 PM   #16

I agree with Mick-

Monopods to indeed have a place in your photo gear.

But as LTZ said, a carbon fiber tripod is an even better solution. Both do an excellent job of stabilizing the camera. Then the photographer comes into the equation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:10 AM   #17

awesome, thanks guys...

i've used a tripod on previous trips, but sometimes the hassle of setting it up takes away from the moment, especially on vacation. i end up spending so much time trying to get the 'perfect' photo, that i miss out on 'experiencing' it. maybe the monopod is the nice balance i'm looking for.
justcallmejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:58 AM   #18

Those are ALL extra-ordinary photos. I don't think I can get such crisp shots from my FZ28, even with a close-up lens. Great going, LTZ, keep it up!
Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:53 AM   #19
csa

"Thanks Dustin for the kind words...the FZ40 is a very good camera...really great to work with...I ha the LC55 on the LA5 Adapter and was going to use it...got all the way there 2 miles from home and I had left it behind...lol...so i made do without it...i think it will really shine with the LC-55 mated up..."

Wow! With results like this; you really didn't need the LC55!

Truly awesome photo work!
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:28 PM   #20

LTZ-

It sounds like I need the LA5 adapter to mate the LC55 to my FZ40?? Would that be correct?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote