Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:12 PM   #1

Default First few shots with TZ10... noise? (pics added!)

After much research and thought I decided on the Panasonic Lumix TZ10 as my new point & shoot camera. So far I have been really happy with the features and the build quality and range of zoom.

The wide angle lens is a bonus - I took two shots inside my home with both the TZ10 and my old Cyber-shot and was able to fit so much more in the frame on the TZ10... awesome!

I took a few photos of my labrador who was sleeping near the glass door to the backyard and when I downloaded the pictures off the camera I noticed a fair bit of noise and the detail in his hair/nails/paw looked like it has been painted instead of a real photo with detail.

I was viewing the image at 100% and was able to see these small defects quite easily. But when I view pictures from my old camera (8.1mp) the sharpness in the images at 100% seems slightly better.

Before I took these shots I was in "A" mode and had the noise reduction set to -2, saturation +1 and sharpness +1.

Obviously being new to the camera I have much to learn about how to take a decent photo. Did these images turn out poorly due to being indoors and using the flash?

By no means am I disappointed in the camera - when viewing the images on screen or resizing in Photoshop to be 6 x 4 @ 300 dpi the noise is not so noticeable and I get quite a good result.

Any help or advice would be appreciated... thanks for reading and I hope to upload some images onto the web soon of shots that I have been taking with the TZ10. Coming up to the weekend I think I will be taking quite a few shots.

Update: Have uploaded some sample pics of my labrador to view. I have tried to take the same shot with both the old and new camera. Link is below...

http://picasaweb.google.com/116181054320844379317

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Last edited by sticks1977; Sep 17, 2010 at 2:12 AM. Reason: Adding URL for photos
sticks1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:51 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Well first thing we have no idea what ISO the shot you were referring to was taken. Nor do we know what ISO the older 8mp camera pictures you were referring to either. Nor do we know the exposure, etc etc. So making any definitive statements is nigh impossible.

However, the newer cameras with more megapixels are still using the same size sensors, that means a 14mp sensor will have a higher pixel density than the older 8mp etc will. This can lead to more noise and thus more noise reduction to counteract this. This will become most visible at 100% magnification of course. So you may see more per pixel fuzziness, but one thing to keep in mind is you have nominally higher pixel count which can often offset this at normal viewing sizes and make the appearance of noise less. So basically it can and often does look worse at 100% but when you use them for prints and normal viewing distance, you have more and smaller pixels to offset this.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:07 PM   #3

1.) Set the ISO Limit or Maximum to 400 on the TZ10/ZS7...

2.) Go shoot photos
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Well first thing we have no idea what ISO the shot you were referring to was taken. Nor do we know what ISO the older 8mp camera pictures you were referring to either. Nor do we know the exposure, etc etc. So making any definitive statements is nigh impossible.
Thanks for your reply... I will endeavour to post up some pictures later today with the same image taken with both cameras... I will also provide all the juicy details such as ISO etc.

I am not sure whether I'm just being paranoid about the end result when viewing at 100% or whether all p&s cameras are in the same boat in regards to image quality when viewed close up.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:49 PM   #5

This will get you sharp photos...insure the camera is rock steady when taking the photo the high Mp small sensors don't like the vibration/shaking about...
Contrast 0
Sharp +1
Saturation +1
NR -2
ISO set to 400 Max
AWB

Search for "ZS7" in this forum folder only and you'll get plenty of examples that show the capabilities of the ZS7...
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:24 AM   #6

Update: I have added some pics in Picasa album for some of the wonderful folk here at Steve's to look over... the last picture in the album shows the noise and fuzzy edges that I was getting when taking a shot indoors.

From memory I had also zoomed in slightly when I took this shot... I am just wondering whether I'm being paranoid and perhaps need to know a few "tricks" if I'm doing something wrong...
Old Sep 17, 2010, 7:03 AM   #7

Sticks you are shooting indoors with lowlighting and a dark brown dog with a P&S camera...for these type photos you need a larger sensor camera I.E. S90 or S95 Canon w/ a f/2.0 lens...OR you can add a slave flash for a few dollars and take the photos with the smaller snesor camer...but your photos do not look bad at all except for the ones where you are to far away for the flash to be effective...
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:01 PM   #8

Shaun-

The TZ-10/ZS7 has a rather small and weak built in flash. If you want to improve indoor image quality, I have found that using a simple accessory Slave Flash will improve indoor image quality measurably. It will also allow the Flash Range (the camera to subject distance) to be increased.

Here the Flash Range is really stretched out. This is a flash photo taken from a distance of 40 feet. But it illustrated the power of added some light to a photo and what can be done in terms of improving image quality. Please just click on the attached link to bring up the photo:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sl...3_Xqgue-X3.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote