Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:58 PM   #1

Default sunset settings

I've been dithering for ages, and finally took the plunge and am trying out the FZ45. The number of settings are a bit overwhelming because I'm totally new to anything that isn't just point and click, but I'm working my way slowly through the instructions.

Whilst I'm struggling with the terminology, could anyone help a complete newbie by suggesting what settings you should go with for photographing sunsets or suggest any useful websites to look at? Any help much appreciated!
Samble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's, in your intelligent scene selector you have a sunset setting which is a good place to start. I say start as when you learn more then you can get a more controlled effect with manual settings, but this is going to keep things nice and easy and give good results.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:11 PM   #3

Oops! That'll teach me to read the whole manual before asking questions Thanks - I'll give the scene mode a go. We're getting some beautiful sunsets here atm.

Sorry, one other beginner question - I was a bit surprised that the FZ45 seems to take quite long to focus, compared to my old very basic compact (which was basically, point, click and insta-focus picture - at least outdoors at any rate), particularly when trying to focus distance shots. Is this just normal for superzooms or am I doing something wrong? I'm still using IA at the moment.
Samble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:20 PM   #4

Welcome - my guess on the focusing - my FZ40 focuses fairly fast when zooming but I am not comparing it to a "basic compact". I compare it to my FZ35 and it seems to focus just as fast.
Your basic compact may indeed focus faster but that is because it has less to focus on when zooming.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5

AF systems are usually a bit slower at the long end of the zoom range (specially on cameras offering 18x+ zoom) than at the widest. So, your camera's AF zoomed in 24x might be slower than an older 3x zoom P&S.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:04 AM   #6

Is the zoom on the 35,45 and 100 stepless?
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:04 PM   #7

You got me Joe - I didn't see any steps - if there were.......... I'd have tripped over them.

but I'm not sure what you mean by stepless.

Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
You got me Joe - I didn't see any steps - if there were.......... I'd have tripped over them.

but I'm not sure what you mean by stepless.
Good one Clint

What I mean is for example my Canon A620 has a 9 step zoom ( 9 small increments) , it's not a smooth flow from wide to tele.
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:27 PM   #9

No steps - all smooth as can be. You can alter the speed by the amount of movement to the button. It also displays1x 2x 3x and so on as you zoom.