Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:07 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 75
Default FZ100 wildlife pics for review

Here are a few wildlife picture with the FZ100. EXIF data should be in the files. Most are shot in mid range with P settings. The grasshopper came out looking like plastic, the rest is OK. Spoonbills where shoot from the 12 floor of a building in the morning.
Attached Images
     
__________________
FZ100

Last edited by mamuco; Sep 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM.
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:19 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 75
Default second set of wildlife pics

A few more. In this set the spoonbills where shoot after sunset. I returned the FZ100 for right now, maybe I will sell my FZ35 first.

I liked that handling, screen and design of the FZ100. The right hand grip is a bit wider compared to the FZ35, so my fingernails don't rest up against the lens barrel. The swivel screen came in handy when holding the camera low to the ground and shooting, however I mostly used the view finder. Switching between the focus options and other settings was not more difficult then on the FZ35.

No streaks from bright light / sunshine when filming is a big plus, especially when around a lot of water.

Sometimes it was hard to focus on extended zoom and the pictures came out a bit fuzzy at 26x, used stabilizer mode 2.

Burst mode is awesome in capturing wildlife and other fast action with kids - you are bound to get a few good pictures of things you didn't see with your naked eye wile shooting. (dolphins coming out of the water, bird catching prey in the water, kids running on the beach.)
Attached Images
     
__________________
FZ100

Last edited by mamuco; Sep 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM.
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:26 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Clint501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Suwanee, Ga
Posts: 2,511
Default

Your bird shots are great - like the osprey the best and the great white egret second.

I agree that on some aspects - especially the zoom factor in bright sunlight - the FZ100 is great. However I'm experiencing the same thing with my FZ100 on the focus and fuzziness.

I have made up my mind not to sell my FZ35 because I can depend on it to get good pictures consistently - especially in lower light.

Even though I love the swivel LCD, I seem to get better shoots with the FZ40 which has the CCD sensor.
__________________





Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:34 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Your bird shots are great - like the osprey the best and the great white egret second.

I agree that on some aspects - especially the zoom factor in bright sunlight - the FZ100 is great. However I'm experiencing the same thing with my FZ100 on the focus and fuzziness.

I have made up my mind not to sell my FZ35 because I can depend on it to get good pictures consistently - especially in lower light.

Even though I love the swivel LCD, I seem to get better shoots with the FZ40 which has the CCD sensor.
Thanks Clint,

The Osprey was great - I could walk right up close to him and take good pictures and the egrets look great with sunlight on them, not so much when in the shade.

I think the pics suffered a bit on resizing - I used the powertoys resizer from MS in XP.

Did you notice if the FZ40 with the ccd sensor exhibits the same light streaks in the sun / off shiny objects as the FZ35 does when using the film mode?
__________________
FZ100
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Clint501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Suwanee, Ga
Posts: 2,511
Default

I haven't noticed it in the FX40 but I have in the FZ35 and that depends on the angle of the sun. If I see it, I just reposition - I think the hood might help also. I know I'm getting more consistent shots with the FZ40 as opposed to the FZ100
__________________





Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
jim007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: india-gujarat
Posts: 211
Default

Great efforts clint.. .thanks for images.!.as you have experienced all of the fz's ..which do you thinks is more suited if somebdy like me who cant afford more then one camera..among all of these fz100,fz40,fz35..? keeping in mind all the needs of taking pictures at night,outdoor,safari.with family .etc..? thanks ..again..its great help..to get advice from knowledgeble person who has the "Actual" experiance of using differnt cameras..keep posting..!!

Last edited by jim007; Sep 22, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jyaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 160
Default

Clint is there any real reason to upgrade from fz35 to fz40 especially if I value low light capture ability? Is the fz40 likely to be a winner or the fz35 is a "classic"?
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Clint501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Suwanee, Ga
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim007 View Post
Great efforts clint.. .thanks for images.!.as you have experienced all of the fz's ..which do you thinks is more suited if somebdy like me who cant afford more then one camera..among all of these fz100,fz40,fz35..? keeping in mind all the needs of taking pictures at night,outdoor,safari.with family .etc..? thanks ..again..its great help..to get advice from knowledgeble person who has the "Actual" experiance of using differnt cameras..keep posting..!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaku View Post
Clint is there any real reason to upgrade from fz35 to fz40 especially if I value low light capture ability? Is the fz40 likely to be a winner or the fz35 is a "classic"?
I guess that's a matter of opinion - people have different expectations and need's in their camera. My personal opinion is the FZ35 is a classic but the FZ40 comes in a close second - especially if you want a longer zoom and a bit better video. I think the FZ40 suffers just a bit in low light when compared to the FZ40.
Another thing is to consider your personality - are you a detail person - like to "tinker & tweak" or I just want to take a picture and no fool with a bunch of settings.

If I could only buy 1 camera - my choice would be the FZ35 - reliable - dependable - great image IQ- no chipped batteries.
Second would be the FZ40 - bigger zoom - better videos - more burst shots but a chipped battery(expensive) - may have to work with a few more settings in lower light situations.

Disclaimer - - but that's just me, your results may vary.
__________________





Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
jim007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: india-gujarat
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
I guess that's a matter of opinion - people have different expectations and need's in their camera. My personal opinion is the FZ35 is a classic but the FZ40 comes in a close second - especially if you want a longer zoom and a bit better video. I think the FZ40 suffers just a bit in low light when compared to the FZ40.
Another thing is to consider your personality - are you a detail person - like to "tinker & tweak" or I just want to take a picture and no fool with a bunch of settings.

If I could only buy 1 camera - my choice would be the FZ35 - reliable - dependable - great image IQ- no chipped batteries.
Second would be the FZ40 - bigger zoom - better videos - more burst shots but a chipped battery(expensive) - may have to work with a few more settings in lower light situations.

Disclaimer - - but that's just me, your results may vary.
thanks.. a lot..
jim007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.