Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 21, 2010, 7:50 PM   #1

Default I took these today with my FZ35 B!& and B24 bombers

http://picasaweb.google.com/10936647...7AndB24Bombers#

Help me take better pictures if you can...
tks chuck
chuckpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:00 PM   #2

Excellent!
My father in law flew B-24's in the Pacific. I think there are only 2 left flying.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Excellent!
My father in law flew B-24's in the Pacific. I think there are only 2 left flying.

So how were my pictures?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:13 PM   #4

I thought they were great!

Is B!& WWII code?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:21 PM   #5

Thanks, Chuck-

Your photos were quite good, with only a few over exposures. That is a great selection and you covered that photo opportunity very well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:01 AM   #6

Nice work there. Pretty much the ideal camera for airshow ground photos.
I think the civilian version of the B24 was called a C87. This plane featured in Ernest K
Gann's book Fate is the Hunter. If you believe Gann, and he flew the plane, the C87 was a real dog but the bomber was great.
mack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:57 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Hi Chuck, exposure must have been a pain in that light, working with all the shadows and direct sun, not easy, and generally they have come out OK. A couple under and a couple over exposed but not terrible out of 90 shots posted.

For me the biggest thing to look at next time out is thinking outside of the box. All of these shots are pretty much how I would expect to see them in a normal world, so more what I would call snaps. You took the shots from where you were rather than really looking for a photo. With these old birds I would love to see you going in closer for the detail of a specific aspect rather than always photographing an entire element, also consider the composition when you shoot, what is in there that doesn't need to be, what will distract from your photo, what is missing, is something too central or hanging right at the edge of the frame.

I'm not saying that these are bad, but it sounds like you want to learn (which is great, and the reason I keep shooting so I can get better) so it's looking at things differently that will take you to the next level.

My initial ideas when looking through these would be to shoot closer on the ammunition of the guns, looking more along them (using leading lines for the composition), or getting more up close and personal with a gun, pulling out individual details, could be the barrel with the cooling holes, or the trigger mechanism etc......
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Hi Chuck, exposure must have been a pain in that light, working with all the shadows and direct sun, not easy, and generally they have come out OK. A couple under and a couple over exposed but not terrible out of 90 shots posted.

For me the biggest thing to look at next time out is thinking outside of the box. All of these shots are pretty much how I would expect to see them in a normal world, so more what I would call snaps. You took the shots from where you were rather than really looking for a photo. With these old birds I would love to see you going in closer for the detail of a specific aspect rather than always photographing an entire element, also consider the composition when you shoot, what is in there that doesn't need to be, what will distract from your photo, what is missing, is something too central or hanging right at the edge of the frame.

I'm not saying that these are bad, but it sounds like you want to learn (which is great, and the reason I keep shooting so I can get better) so it's looking at things differently that will take you to the next level.

My initial ideas when looking through these would be to shoot closer on the ammunition of the guns, looking more along them (using leading lines for the composition), or getting more up close and personal with a gun, pulling out individual details, could be the barrel with the cooling holes, or the trigger mechanism etc......
Thanks thats what I am looking for...

chuck
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:27 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckpp View Post
Thanks thats what I am looking for...

chuck
Glad I was able to help out a bit.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:27 PM   #10

"My initial ideas when looking through these would be to shoot closer on the ammunition of the guns, looking more along them (using leading lines for the composition), or getting more up close and personal with a gun, pulling out individual details, could be the barrel with the cooling holes, or the trigger mechanism etc......"

How would i set up the camera for these tight shots,,mode etc

tks again
chuck