Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:35 PM   #1

Default Writing videos to DVD - Software?

Hello everyone! I've purchased the FZ35 and am happy with the pictures and videos it produces. Most of what I take are of my son playing football and my biggest problem is siimply figuring out how to take the video files and placing them on a DVD disk. I've used the software that comes with the camera as well as windows movie maker but have yet to simply write the video files to DVD. Was careful to make sure what I'm using hardware/disk wise is correct (went to Best Buy - several times) but still unable to simply create a disk with videos. Any help/suggestions as to software would be great.
Johntpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:56 PM   #2

I think your issue is Movie Maker. You're limited to trying to make a video CD or possibly an SVCD.

You probably will need something like ULEADS Movie Factory (create VOBs, slide shows using stills with attached audio files, has menus capability).

Last edited by sdromel; Sep 21, 2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Typos
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:14 PM   #3

what about windows dvd maker? what operating system you're using?
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:22 PM   #4

Hello and first thank you for your help. I'm using Vista as the operating system. As for other software, I tried the PHOTOfunSTUDIO that came with the camera but again am unable to make a simple DVD video.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Learning as I'm asking (maybe?). The file type is MTS (AVCHD) and my guess is that I'll need a converter that will allow me to simply burn these onto a DVD that anyone can view. These will be used by both parents and players (8-10 yr olds) and so I want to make sure that anyone can play them.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:49 PM   #6

convrtxtodvd works GREAT its by vso
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:28 AM   #7

yeah try convrtxtodvd i wanted to mention this software but i thought you need something for free. I burned like thousands of dvds using this software a few years ago..
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 5:30 AM   #8

Another vote for ConvertXtoDVD, I have used it in the past, very easy to use.
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:13 AM   #9

First thanks again to all of you for your input! I want to ask if my reason for being here is correct. What I mean is, would another model camera have allowed me to simply take the non-.MTS files and put them on DVD? I like the Panasonic but wish I'd known I'd have to spend more money just to allow others to view the videos.

Ok, and as for the convertxtodvd, I think I'm sold. Should I consider however something like Nemo 9 if I am indeed going to spend money?

EDIT - Purchased an un-opened "Movie Edit Pro 16" last night thinking it might work. I read the side of the box and there's notes/instructions about buying MPEG-4. Guessin' I already have it with the panasonic. Would like to return it for something that will both Convert AND allow me to make DVDs for other, perhaps less-skilled (see clueless), people like myself.

Again, thanks for your help (and patience with a newbe like me)!

Last edited by Johntpa; Sep 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:47 AM   #10

Have you tried VLC Media Player?
It has a convert and save function -
Attached Images

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote