Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:12 PM   #1

Default Gorillapod + FZ*?

Hey guys,

Does anybody here use the Gorillapod "tripod"? They have a small model called original, for small cameras, and a larger "SLR" one..

joby.com/gorillapod/original/

I want to buy the smaller one, even if it's not the most stable thing ever for my FZ100, because its smaller to carry around.. Has anybody tried it?
ESCOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:13 AM   #2

I have the SLR model for my FZ38. Very handy device to have!
The SLR model includes a spirit-level meter on the base clip.
I think the FZ100 will be overweight for the "Original"
and certainly looked too small when I considered it.
Regards
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I have the original for a pocket cam but it won't take my Canon SX1 (similar size to the FZ), my dad has the SLR and works just great.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:03 AM   #4

Thanks guys..

Mark, what do you mean "won't take it" ? The screw doesn't fit at all? Or is it only that its not stable? My plan is to use the tripod for stable, horizontal pictures, so its not like the gorillapod would have to support the entire weight of the camera..

I used to have one of this for my portable canon:

It was really small so you could carry it in the pocket easily..
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:37 PM   #5

I have gorillapod SLR Zoom which have capacity to hold 3 KG. It can hold t2i with 55-200mm lenses easly even i put 330 gr ball head on it, it is stable, of course there are joby(original) and others, i would go with joby.

Dont think SLR Zoom is a huge gorillapod, no it is not, it can be even used by sx130. I would go with SLR one which is smaller than SLR zoom models.

So there are two screwes top on it. One of them suits nearly all cameras and other one which is like adaptor can fit on ball heads. I think they need to be universal, please ask Joby about these to be sure.

For horizontal pictures you would need a ballhead, there is also joby's ballhead but i didnt buy it, i bought half price another one which is 330 gr, with two security lock, with water balance. There are ballheads for pannings.

Last edited by imut; Sep 23, 2010 at 2:41 PM.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:18 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCOZ View Post
Thanks guys..

Mark, what do you mean "won't take it" ? The screw doesn't fit at all? Or is it only that its not stable? My plan is to use the tripod for stable, horizontal pictures, so its not like the gorillapod would have to support the entire weight of the camera..

I used to have one of this for my portable canon:

It was really small so you could carry it in the pocket easily..
It's the weight if you have the lens extended/zoomed, the balance isn't there and nor is the strength to keep it upright. The screw thread for a tripod is the same be it from my smallest camera up to one of my full frame dSLRs so no need to worry about that.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:23 PM   #7

Thanks again Mark, I'll go with the SLR then!