Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 22, 2010, 3:12 PM   #1

Default Could use some experienced advice on FZ35 pics

What do you think of these?

I have been playing around with the camera a lot and I figured out that manual settings are much better than auto settings - duh.. for example these came out perfectly fine while the latter came out overexposed..

By the time I noticed this bug, he was gone so no way to use macro mode

Now these are overexposed with programmable auto even with exposure at -2 and 0 respectively.

Did those come out good?

And also is there a way to salvage a picture like this in which even with flash fill the background came out way too bright like in this picture? I would like to salvage a few picture's like this if its possible. What do you think?

Thank you very much if you're able to help.

Last edited by Jyaku; Sep 22, 2010 at 6:18 PM.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:33 PM   #2

A lot would depend on the software you have to edit photos and how patience do you have.
In the above photo you can "mask" the people so they won't be changed and use one of the software tools to "darken" the background. There's many methods using layers of a picture - lighten one layer - darken another layer in a different area.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:36 PM   #3

I have Lightroom 3.2 and Photoshop CS2. Are they good enough?
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:45 PM   #4

Yes - both are very good.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:09 AM   #5

Thank you Clint, I'll be sending you a pm with the aftereffects. You were right on patience.. took quite a few hours.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:49 AM   #6

The two close-up shots are good but the other ones are not. Any camera can expose much better when you shoot macro because the area the camera uses to adjust the exposure is more uniform (less difference in terms of contrast, unless of course, the object you are photographing is lit part sun part shade). The most difficult condition for any camera to properly expose is when you point it to a very shaded are where your subject is but all the surrounding area is very bright. The camera tries to balance the two and you'll end up with either an under or over exposed shot.

Up to your third shot, the object was either in full sun (first two leaf shots) or full shade (first tree shot). Then for the last two tree shots you introduced contrast (sun shining on the top leaves). So, the first of the two last shots, the camera did reasonably well because the bright area was relatively small compared to the entire frame. However, on the last shot the bright area at the top is much larger and IMO the camera should have expose based on it but perhaps you pointed the camera downward to focus/expose and then re-composed the image or you cropped the shaded area off, which would explain the over exposure of the leaves.

Lastly, a tip for proper exposure of leaves. In general, leaves tend to over expose (even though it may seem that the opposite would be true). The reason is because they reflect a lot of light. So, when shooting lots of leaves in bright sunlight, knock the exposure down by at least -0.3.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:48 PM   #7

Great tip! Thank you.

2 follow up questions.. does this apply if the leaves are the background?

And would raw work better than jpeg?

What do you end up doing?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 1:31 AM   #8

It depends. if the leave in the background are far away, then no. But if the leaves are right behind the subject, then it could potentially cause an exposure problem.

As far as RAW goes, I think it depends on the camera. Some cameras can't process the image very well and the resulting JPEG will suffer the consequences. In this case, you'll be better off processing the RAW image yourself. However, quite a few new brand/models are capable of producing excellent JPEGs. In this case, spending time processing RAW files is an absolute waste.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote