Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:41 AM   #11

Guys,
The sharpness setting is basically post processing done inside the camera, right? Wouldn't it be better to take pictures with sharpness zero and then do it as necessary with software? Is there any difference between the two?
ESCOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:57 AM   #12

Yes, there are. The primary difference is, if the camera does a decent job processing the image, by having the sharpening be done by it, it will save you a lot of PP time. Now, if the camera does a mediocre JPEG processing job, then you'd be better off correcting the images yourself. But, if you like to spend time in front of a computer PP'ing your pictures, then using a good software will most likely produce better results, despite how good the camera's engine is.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Sep 24, 2010 at 1:19 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:59 AM   #13

Great , thanks Tullio.
ESCOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Martin I think the marketing is targeting towards - bigger - faster - more - more pixels - more zooms!

But there comes a point of diminishing returns.
A truck might haul a 2 ton load. Will it haul 3? Yes but it has an effect - engine strain , low gas mileage.

I think that is what's happening when you try to get more more megapixels and higher zoom factors into a certain style and size chip.

Who knows though?? Someone a lot smarter than me may have the solution to exactly what we want. As long as you have the $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Very interesting but true viewpoint. I was more and more envious of the 35x zoom of the SX30 IS especially since it has a lithium ion batteries, I discarded the SX20 IS primarily because of AA batteries.

I might just end up keeping the FZ35 then.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:29 PM   #15

Sarah I would be happy to take any course you teach, photoshop etc, where in NY do you teach?
richie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:59 PM   #16

Hi Richie-

I teach in Oregon.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote