Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:17 PM   #1

Default Sharpness control question

I have a FZ35 and love it to death. Now that the FZ100 has come out I'm thinking of upgrading mainly because of the swivel LCD display like what I had on my Canon SX3is and have really missed. Now, my question, since there have been many complaints about the sharpness of the FZ100, is there a control in the menu's like the FZ35 has that you can adjust the sharpness? I've read everything on every possible site and nobody has mentioned it. I ask as perhaps this would solve the problem. Just curious and thanks in advance for any help on this.

Neil, still pondering in Maine.
therentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2

In my experience with the FZ-18, FZ-28, and the FZ-35, I have found two areas where sharpness is changed: (1) in the sharpness setting itself. And (2) how the focus is acquired. I have found that spot focus, generally speaking, results sub sequentially in a quicker, final, and harder, (read:sharper) final photo focus.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:50 AM   #3

The FZ100 has a menu item under film mode which will allow you set the sharpness from -2 to +2. It works the same as the FZ35.

I loved the articulating LCD on the FZ100 - however - I sent my second FZ100 back again yesterday.

I took the FZ100 and FZ40 and I took numerous shots of the same objects with both cameras. I set the cameras to the same settings as much as possible . The sharpness settings being one of them.

I set my PC to view each set of pictures side by side - I didn't know which picture was from what camera until I clicked properties.

The results? On every shot comparison I choose the FZ40 to be the sharper image. The FZ100 shots were (to my old eyes) not a clear, crisp and focused as the FZ40. As much as I wanted to keep the swivel LCD , I wanted image IQ to be first. Some folks will find fault with my assumptions and test method but basically I was getting better pictures with the FZ40 and not as many with the FZ100.

The main difference is the FZ100 has a CMOS chip and the FZ40 has the CCD chip like the FZ35. I think the FZ100 was built around people who want more "video" features.

The Canon SX30is is next biggie coming out - -it has the articulating LCD - 35X zoom!!!!
The first few shots coming out show some strange fringing but it's still early yet.

I'm think the FZ35 is squeezing the best quality out of the CCD chip. The FZ40 is coming in a close second.

If you purchase the FZ100 from Amazon , you can try it for 30 days and return it if you don't like. Only costs you $6 of your refund to send it back. They make it very easy.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
I'm think the FZ35 is squeezing the best quality out of the CCD chip. The FZ40 is coming in a close second.
Interesting. if so it must be down to the increased MP count? I wonder how an FZ25/28 compares on IQ then?
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:23 AM   #5

Martin I think the marketing is targeting towards - bigger - faster - more - more pixels - more zooms!

But there comes a point of diminishing returns.
A truck might haul a 2 ton load. Will it haul 3? Yes but it has an effect - engine strain , low gas mileage.

I think that is what's happening when you try to get more more megapixels and higher zoom factors into a certain style and size chip.

Who knows though?? Someone a lot smarter than me may have the solution to exactly what we want. As long as you have the $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:23 AM   #6

Sarah, maybe a little talk on Sharpness setting? I have not change or even looked at the sharpness setting on my FZ35, my pictures seem ok but I can't tell if they would be better is I changed it?? Tool some nice shots at Yellowstone, Grand Tetons etc. You guys have given me great advice. I do use spot focus all the time.

Richie
richie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:48 AM   #7

Thanks, Clint-

I am sure that many appreciate your honest information concerning the side by side comparison of the F Z 40 versus the FZ 100, I surely do.

Personally, I am still using my FZ-28. I sold off my FZ-35 right before the new camera introductions. Since then I have been waiting for the new camera prices to drop and closely watching the image quality from the new cameras.

I think you made a wise move, Clint.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:51 AM   #8

richie-

I drop by this folder every, and I contribute where I can. However, this being September I am back to teaching two different classes. So, I don't have as much time as I would like right now.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:27 AM   #9

Default Thanks again everyone.

Thanks again for the input. I guess I'll hold on to the FZ35 until everything is sorted. I wish the FZ40 had the movable LCD and yes I also picked up on the new SX30is and will be following the tests and reviews on it. As far as the video aspect of it I could care less. I buy a still camera for stills and wish they would leave it at that. Incidentally I have a Canon 40D and I've thought right along that the IQ on the FZ35 was darn near an equal.

Neil
therentster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie1 View Post
...I have not change or even looked at the sharpness setting on my FZ35, my pictures seem ok but I can't tell if they would be better is I changed it?? ...
My suggestion is...try. Not just sharpening levels but white balance settings, contrast, saturation, ISO, etc.. It's free! But like with food - you shouldn't try a new recipe when you have not-so-close guests over for dinner - you should not try new settings when you are taking important shots you can't afford to lose due to incorrect settings. Choose a few different objects under different conditions (indoor, outdoor, low/bright light, low/high contrast, etc.) and experiment. That's the best way to get to know your camera's capabilities and weaknesses.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote