Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:17 PM   #1

Default FZ100 11 Shot Burst Mode

LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:23 PM   #2

Is that in reduced resolution and jpeg only mode or you did that burst in all raw and max 14 mp?
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:45 PM   #3

14Mp Jpeg Full Res...it's only when you go to 40 or 60 fps that it is reduced resolution....
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:20 PM   #4

Burst is an important feature for my purposes. I've looked at many other cameras' burst systems and, in my opinion, Panasonic hit it out of the park with their burst options. The various burst choices are easy and quick to select. Importantly,the images store very quickly,even the full 14mp/15 shot bursts. I haven't tried it yet but the manual says you can even shoot high speed bursts while filming video!

As the above shots show very clearly, there is no image quality loss when shooting bursts.

Way to go Panasonic. You did it right with Big Fuzzy!

What a fun camera,...

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 7:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
Burst is an important feature for my purposes. I've looked at many other cameras' burst systems and, in my opinion, Panasonic hit it out of the park with their burst options. The various burst choices are easy and quick to select. Importantly,the images store very quickly,even the full 14mp/15 shot bursts. I haven't tried it yet but the manual says you can even shoot high speed bursts while filming video!

As the above shots show very clearly, there is no image quality loss when shooting bursts.

Way to go Panasonic. You did it right with Big Fuzzy!

What a fun camera,...

Jack
I'd be interested to see a comparison between resized FZ100 and FZ35 3MP bursts Jack. These pics look fine at monitor size, which I know is your main purpose, but take a look at the full sized shots at Flickr. Not even pixel peeping, they really are terrible. To acheive the burst rate off the CMOS sensor Panasonic have had to use compression and noise reduction so dramatic that the detail and resolution loss is staggering.

I don't want to sway your renewed enthusiasm for the 100, but as Clint and Cole regularly point out, getting shots that equal the 35 takes more work and effort, with consistently lower number of keepers.

Hypothetically, if
I were in your shoes, I'd be asking myself, what's wrong with the results you are already getting? Have the family complained? Maybe you could put five hundred bucks to better use is all I'm saying.

Greg )
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
I'd be interested to see a comparison between resized FZ100 and FZ35 3MP bursts Jack. These pics look fine at monitor size, which I know is your main purpose, but take a look at the full sized shots at Flickr. Not even pixel peeping, they really are terrible. To acheive the burst rate off the CMOS sensor Panasonic have had to use compression and noise reduction so dramatic that the detail and resolution loss is staggering.

I don't want to sway your renewed enthusiasm for the 100, but as Clint and Cole regularly point out, getting shots that equal the 35 takes more work and effort, with consistently lower number of keepers.

Hypothetically, if
I were in your shoes, I'd be asking myself, what's wrong with the results you are already getting? Have the family complained? Maybe you could put five hundred bucks to better use is all I'm saying.

Greg )
Hi Greg,...where have you been, old friend?

I'm frankly not into comparisons. The 3mp FZ35 bursts are pretty darn good. To my eye, the bursts of the FZ100 are better and will stand up under cropping. I've only had the FZ35 for a couple of days and it will not see actual combat until Saturday's Little League ball game. Features I like are the way it stacks the bursts for review and the ease of selecting the several modes. The 5mp AF mode may turn out to be especially valuable.

I saw all the early negative comments about the FZ100 and took them very seriously, especially when Clint returned his. After awhile, I realized that the negative comments were about things that are of little interest to me. I love my FZ35 and will keep it. However, for me, the FZ100 is the most fun camera I have ever had. In many ways, it's in a class by itself.

As for getting shots equal to the FZ35 "taking more work and effort", I simply haven't found that to be the case at all.

This thread is about bursts but there are other great features that make the FZ100 special, such as "Intelligent Zoom", high speed video, beautiful and bright LCD, etc, etc.

Jack
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:52 AM   #7

A lot of the problems seen are my fault...throwing the frisbee then trying to get focused and shoot at the same time...camera movement is harsh...what I should do is also try it with the 7D and 70-200...it wouldn't be easy either...and the results...well lets just say...I shot 500 or so BIF pic's with the 7D just to get a few keepers...so I wouldn't exactly give the FZ100 the boot yet...also the 1/640 shutter was the fastest I could get as this is late evening as you can see by the shadows...so light was dwindling...the biggest problem being camera movement and chasing the heeler down after throwing the frisbee to get a few shots is very difficult at best, even with the 7D it would not be a "walk in the park" to say the least...

Note these were all cropped also...

Last edited by LTZ470; Sep 24, 2010 at 3:49 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:33 AM   #8

Jack - you said the magic words - for me, the FZ100 is the most fun camera I have ever had
To me, that's what taking pictures and messing with cameras is all about. Having fun and enjoying the process.

And Greg - missed you - good to hear from you - hope you are doing OK.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:28 PM   #9

Default Continuing about burst modes

I've been checking out the burst modes on Big Fuzzy today and have been really happy with what I'm finding.

The 11fps/15shot burst is exactly as advertised. It will use your camera's settings. For example, if you are in S with 1/250th set, you will get 11 shots at that setting. The subject remains in view during shooting with all burst modes.

Today, I tried the High Speed 40fps option. This one uses an electronic shutter. It gives 3.5mp at 16:9 aspect ratio. CAUTION: Do not try this unless the strap is around your neck and you have a firm grip on the camera with both hands. It rattles shots off like a machine gun! the muzzle jump was surprising and Fuzzy almost jumped out of my hands!! Just kidding, of course, but it really rattles them off. You will be impressed.

I'm still trying to get up enough nerve to try the 60fps option!

Jack

Last edited by Setter Dog; Sep 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM.