Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:10 PM   #1

Default "Super" Harvest Moon Lights up the Sky

I hope I will not break any rules by not posting any photos in this thread (yet). I thought to share this as I am hoping to see some nice shots from the members here:
Quote:
A “super” harvest moon, that won’t happen again until 2029, will light up the Wednesday night sky.
Farmers named the harvest moon —a full moon near the time of fall equinox — in the days before electric lights. Farmers used the harvest moon to spend more time gathering crops.
Typically the harvest moon comes within days or weeks of the equinox. But this year the moon hits its maximum brightness six hours after the equinox, which is at 8:10 p.m., said Griffith Observatory Curator Laura Danly.
The full moon is at its brightest at 2:17 a.m. Thursday.
DolnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:41 PM   #2

Absolutely not, rest assured. In fact, by suggesting a topic, you are only doing good by encouraging members to submit more real life and artistic photos than the drab, technically perfect full moon. While I was driving home yesterday night I was admiring the full moon among passing clouds and in the company of jupiter closeby and was wondering how nice a shot I could capture if only I had the camera with me. Preoccupied as we are, other thoughts flowed and by the time I reached home I totally forgot this. Your post reminds me - yes, it was a bright moon.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:51 PM   #3

Default Not Drab. real Life

From my driveway. I knew the harvest moon/jupiter thing was happening so i looked outside and saw them lined up! Not to be missed. Yes, There's flare and yes the exposure isn't perfect. If anyone is interested, I use daylight wb for these night sky shots. if for nothing else, consistency.
Attached Images

Last edited by frank-in-toronto; Sep 23, 2010 at 8:56 PM.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:45 PM   #4

Default My boys had fun playing with it

Name:  MCLAUGHLIN 001 S.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  MCLAUGHLIN 002 S.jpg
Views: 2540
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  MCLAUGHLIN 004 S.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  35.5 KB
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:46 AM   #5

I was in the air on the way to London...so no shots for me...would've been nice!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:12 AM   #6

It was very cool looking. But I need to research how to take moon shots. All I could get was a big white shiny circle.
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 7:26 AM   #7

Neat - it looks like everyone was having a good time.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:58 AM   #8

Default Here's some Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleehobbit View Post
It was very cool looking. But I need to research how to take moon shots. All I could get was a big white shiny circle.
The first night sky I did was tough. Now I can be set up in a couple of minutes. You can too. I don't know what camera you're using but here's the main points. Just adjust them to suit your needs, do it a few times and it'll be trivial.
1. iso1600
2. camera set to M
2. manual focus at infinity
3. aperature as big as you can
4. wide angle for the first few shots
6. shutter speed 1 second
7. tripod
8. remote release or short time delay

set up, and shoot. review the shot. too dark? increase the shutter open time. keep adjusting until you get a shot or two you like. try to get something in the foreground to add depth and interest. if the sky gets too bright due to light pollution, try a different part of the sky or, you'll have to go somewhere else.

if you can get to a 30 second exposure you'll start to get a lot of stars.

that's a place to start. i walked out to my driveway after setting the camera up in the house. i put the tripod on top of a garbage can and took a few pictures. since i didn't know how bright things would look, i started at 1 second and played with two things:
1. the shutter speed (longer and shorter exposures)
2. the zoom

as I always recommend, take lots and review on the lcd. later on review more seriously on your computer. see what worked. see what didn't. sometimes i use my car as the tripod. sometimes a short post. even a large rock. just try.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:41 AM   #9

Few shots of the Harvest moon... stock FZ35:
Attached Images

Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
The first night sky I did was tough. Now I can be set up in a couple of minutes. You can too. I don't know what camera you're using but here's the main points. Just adjust them to suit your needs, do it a few times and it'll be trivial.
1. iso1600
2. camera set to M
2. manual focus at infinity
3. aperature as big as you can
4. wide angle for the first few shots
6. shutter speed 1 second
7. tripod
8. remote release or short time delay

set up, and shoot. review the shot. too dark? increase the shutter open time. keep adjusting until you get a shot or two you like. try to get something in the foreground to add depth and interest. if the sky gets too bright due to light pollution, try a different part of the sky or, you'll have to go somewhere else.

if you can get to a 30 second exposure you'll start to get a lot of stars.

that's a place to start. i walked out to my driveway after setting the camera up in the house. i put the tripod on top of a garbage can and took a few pictures. since i didn't know how bright things would look, i started at 1 second and played with two things:
1. the shutter speed (longer and shorter exposures)
2. the zoom

as I always recommend, take lots and review on the lcd. later on review more seriously on your computer. see what worked. see what didn't. sometimes i use my car as the tripod. sometimes a short post. even a large rock. just try.
That is some great info. I will try it out tonight if the sky cooperates. I'm using an FZ100.

Thanks,

Diana
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote