Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:51 AM   #1

Default best setting (FZ 35)for Formula 1 car?

will be watching Grand prix soon and hope to get some nice pic. Any advice on setting to capture the fast moving cars?
jjasonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:29 AM   #2
Super Moderator

When I shoot motorsports I use shutter priority or manual as my main interest is to use a shutter speed that is going to allow me to get motion blur. Depending where you are on the track, distance from the track etc I would suggest trying 1/200s to 1/500s and if using shutter priority rather than manual, ensuring that the ISO is set to a level that is allowing the aperture to fall in a usable range (you can use auto ISO). In good daylight then ISO 100 is probably going to be OK but keep an eye on is to you don't get under exposed.

I would pre focus/use manual focus on the part of the track you are interested in, this will help with shutter lag. Then pan smoothly with the car and take your shot/shots if using burst (with burst you might not follow well enough as you lose what you are looking at but try).

Do a search for posts by TG, he uses much different kit, but it will give you an idea of angles etc to look at as he has done many levels of motorsport shooting.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:44 AM   #3

The Singapore GP is held at night, under flood lights.

Here's a handy guide to photographing the event,

http://www.reddotphoto.com.sg/forums...ore-grand-prix

Last edited by joe30; Sep 24, 2010 at 9:01 AM.
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:48 AM   #4
Super Moderator

OK, that would change things a bit so pump the ISO and see what shutter speeds you can get. Ensure you are getting correct exposure in camera, if you are under exposed you won't be able to save it with the higher ISOs.

I would stick with manual focus as you will never focus fast enough automatically.