Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 24, 2010, 3:54 PM   #1

Default Aargh! FZ35 or FZ40?

Hello all,

I am upgrading from a FZ18. have pretty much decided not to buy the FZ100 - I'd like to have the burst feature but it seems just about the only important difference between it and the FZ45 for me since I always use a viewfinder rather than LCD screen and I am only interested in outdoor photography as I have a Fuji F30 for indoor family shots, so the hot shoe doesn't matter either. The video difference is not important to me either. And it seems to me that although there have been more and more decent FZ100 shots, they just don't have enough consistent quality at the higher end of the zoom range. My main use is bird/wildlife photography.

So it's out of the FZ40 and the fZ35. It seems to me that the 35 has produced better shots than the 40, and that it MAY be a bit better at 400iso than the 40. Both cameras are about the same price in the UK (20 or so difference). So my question is for those who have tried both - which would you buy for IQ at higher ISOs which might be needed at the long end of the zoom on cloudy days? Should I go for the FZ40 or stick with the known 35?

I know I have to make the decision myself, but I cannot try them side by side and I'm kind of hoping everyone says get the FZ40 since it is as good and has better zoom and other features...
Sean
Winterdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:17 PM   #2

I have an FZ-35 and I honestly only have 1 gripe with it.. and I don't know of a camera that can fix my gripe problem - shoot 10-11 shot burst mode in full resolution RAW.

That said the FZ35 produces beautiful outdoor and low light images. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA3U4CDTQFw

The video's are fantastic too.

General concencus on the board is the FZ-35 is a "classic" while the FZ-40 is a *close second*. Its hard to upgrade on perfection. You have to compromise somewhere and it seems to be image quality. I personally can't notice it but others do.

What I do know.. FZ-35 does everything I want it to do except that thing I mentioned and except I'll be needing some extra lenses to absolutely detailed moonshots which is the same for the FZ-40 & FZ-100.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 4:54 PM   #3

I second that - I currently have both FZ35 and FZ40. My suggestion is to order both from Amazon if you can. They have a 30 day return policy. I also tried the FZ100 and decided to send it back. Only cost me $6 to return it. Amazon has very good customer service in my opinion.

If you look back a few pages on this site you will numerous comparisons.

If you do outside, good lighting nature - bird photos then you may like the FZ40 better. It has a great zoom feature - 24x compared to the FZ35 18x.

Again - check out the site for some good comparisons but there is nothing like having both in hand and comparing them on your home equipment.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:00 PM   #4

I'm in the UK. The Amazon returns policy is not as good here as in the US.
Sean
Winterdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:47 PM   #5

The FZ35 is a gem, but you'll miss out on the extra zoom if that's important to you..I've had mine for about 10 months and I use it basically every week.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:34 PM   #6

Take a look at this
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...oom-frogs.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...z40-shots.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...40-iso800.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...mparision.html

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

Last edited by Clint501; Sep 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:35 PM   #7

The FZ35 and FZ40 almost cost the same on Amazon now, $340 vs $360. I bought the FZ35 two weeks ago, mostly because it was $100 cheaper ($299 vs $399) and the initial reviews of the FZ40 were not that great. But that picture regarding the FZ40 has cleared up now somewhat, it doesn't improve upon the FZ35, but it also doesn't do much worse. So at the current price, I would probably go for the FZ40. But if you still want an FZ35, it looks like you need to hurry up.
konradsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:11 PM   #8

On one of the other threads, it was stated that the asking price on the new currently non-available FZ camera batteries is $90.

On the other hand, any Pany support for repair will be unavailable sooner with a discontinued model.

I would buy the camera with the best specifications. Most of the time, I found that the ability of the user is more important or far overshadows any small differences in camera capability.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 8:11 PM   #9

Konradsa, is correct-

The remaining supply of FZ-35 model is becoming smaller quite quickly. So if you sort of want the FZ-35 versus the FZ-40, a quick decision is probably needed.

In the replacement cycle a year ago, as the remaining inventory of the FZ-28 dropped, they actually became more expensive, due to the lack of availability.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:30 AM   #10

Quote:
That said the FZ35 produces beautiful outdoor and low light images. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA3U4CDTQFw
I decided to keep my FZ35 because of shots like this. We just haven't seen any shots like this from the FZ40 yet and I didn't want to risk it.

Frank
ftlee is offline   Reply With Quote