Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:13 PM   #11

Diana-

Thanks for a comprehensive review. It is very well done. You have also included a nice selection of photos. You put in a lot of long hours and hard work.

Jake-

The use of Exposure Compensation insured the blue sky in Photo #3. An yes, proper framing of a photo does enhance composition. But that is just as true for the FZ-35 as a DSLR camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydude View Post
Fantastic set of photos and write up of the FZ100. Thanks for sharing
Thank you. I tried to be thorough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Wow!
Great review. You put a lot of work into it.
Thanks for all the posting and pictures.
My conclusions with the FZ100 were very similar to yours.
Thanks, Clint. I'm nowhere near as good as you and LTZ470 are with the FZ series but I thought I'd share my experience nonetheless.

If I didn't have the H5, then I would be tempted more by this camera, or the FZ40 for that matter. I just think that someone that is moving up from a P&S and wants that 24x optical zoom but only wants to put it in auto should maybe look at the FZ40 instead as I've heard it's a little easier to use and has a higher keeper rate. The zoom is quite nice, but it's a lot of camera. To be honest, I was never dissatisfied with my 12x optical zoom. I think the key thing to remember with megazooms is that the further you zoom out, the more IQ issues you are going to have, at least that has been my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaku View Post
Wonderful pictures, wonderful review.

How did you manage to get a blue sky on #3?

And pictures like #9 is why I prefer RAW. Even if I make a mistake somehow earlier on, I can fix it in PP. I ruined a lot of good shots with jpeg and in camera processing.. my evaluation of shots isn't as sophisticated as others on the board so have to rely on PP.

And what DSLR are you considering?

And if anyone with a dslr can answer this I'd appreciate it, is there a lot more into framing pictures correctly with a dslr too than simply pointing and shooting?
Thank you, I'm still learning quite a bit but thought I'd offer up a variety of images.

#3 was in Pattern metering mode: [(.)]
Exposure compensation was either at -1/3 or -2/3 (I'd have to go check the EXIF info but I'm feeling a little lazy at the moment...)
I framed the rose in the center with my focus box towards the edge so it caught mostly the flower but a bit of the sky as well. I depressed the shutter halfway then repositioned the camera for a different composition and then took the picture. I'm not sure if this helped with the blue sky, but I was getting a white sky more often than not unless I made sure that part of the sky was in the focus box, depressed halfway, then repositioned for composition. I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm doing it wrong

As for #9, I didn't try any PP on the jpg except for resizing. It took me an hour just to sort through the 800 pictures I took to find ones I was brave enough to share. As for shooting in RAW, I have no idea how to edit RAW or even how it's different. I haven't gotten there in my PP yet. I'm still working on the basics. I'm rather guilty of hitting auto fix and if it looks good, then I save it.

As for a DSLR, I'm debating on a T1i or a Sony A500, but my needs could be vastly different to your needs. DSLR choice is dependent more on what your personal shooting needs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Diana-

Thanks for a comprehensive review. It is very well done. You have also included a nice selection of photos. You put in a lot of long hours and hard work..

Sarah Joyce
Thank you, Sarah. I tried to provide a variety. It was a lot of work, but it was fun.
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:00 PM   #13

Wow! What a comprehensive set of photos you've posted! Thank you so much for doing all of that and sharing with us. I am still learning my way around my fz100, haven't yet tried "night scene" but I definitely need to before heading out on holiday in a couple of weeks. I can understand why when a person is comparing to another camera they are very familiar with and they like, that the fz100 seems to come up short quite often, but that's not the case with me and I'm OK with learning and playing with it. All of your efforts here really help my learning curve, so thanks again!
VncvrIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VncvrIslandGirl View Post
Wow! What a comprehensive set of photos you've posted! Thank you so much for doing all of that and sharing with us. I am still learning my way around my fz100, haven't yet tried "night scene" but I definitely need to before heading out on holiday in a couple of weeks. I can understand why when a person is comparing to another camera they are very familiar with and they like, that the fz100 seems to come up short quite often, but that's not the case with me and I'm OK with learning and playing with it. All of your efforts here really help my learning curve, so thanks again!
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think the scene modes are a good way to help you understand what the camera is trying to do to achieve a certain exposure for a certain setting. For instance, in the sunset examples, if you look at the EXIF, in P mode where I had it set to Auto ISO, Auto WB, Min 1/30 on the shutter, and spot metering, the camera selected a shutter speed of 1/50, and ISO 400. Then if you look at the picture taken in the sunset scene mode, it selected a shutter speed of 1/30, ISO 100, and pattern metering (over riding my spot metering selection it seems). These settings got sky colors that were truer to real life than I got in P mode. Of course there may be other things that effect the results that I'm not aware of, but I think for a beginner, the scene modes kind of help you understand how it all works.

As for comparing the FZ100 to my H5, it's not so much that is falls short, I can get about the same quality images with both of them. There is just a higher learning curve with the FZ100 and it does not perform as well in Auto mode. However, it does do do some things that my H5 doesn't do. For instance, with NIMH rechargeable batteries in the H5, I get about 200-250 pictures on one charge using the EVF and little to no flash use. I took about 800 images on one charge of the FZ100 with some flash use, mostly the EVF but some LCD usage, and a few short videos, and the battery still has some life to it. The H5 does not have the super fast burst mode that the FZ100 has, nor the articulating screen. Also the video on the FZ100 is vastly superior. In short, if I did not have the H5, I would seriously want either the FZ100 or the FZ40. But I do have it, and while the FZ100 has some really great features I'm not so sure those features are worth $400 to me.

Have fun on your holiday. I'm sure everyone will want to see how the FZ100 does on your vacation

Diana
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 12:41 PM   #15

Very nice review and photos.

I just purchased my FZ100 Saturday. This is very helpful as the FZ100 does have a little learning curve to it.

What I need is an afternoon like you had to figure it out. Maybe this weekend. Thanks for your insight.
Logansdad is offline   Reply With Quote