Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:34 AM   #1
LEK

Default filter question and manual control question for FZ35

Hello there. Having a great time learning about my FZ35. A couple of questions. I have a 46mm uv filter on it for lens protection. i want to get a polarizing filter when I shoot in the mountains. Can I stack a 46mm polarizer on top of the uv filter without getting vignetting, or will it be a problem? I've been reading the filters posts and am not clear on that. Is it better to just get one of the square ones you hold over the lens? Also, is a circular polarizer the type to get?
Went to an all day outdoor photography workshop through REI yesterday which I loved. She was talking about manual controls and depth of field and was discussing f-stops of 32. Looks like the FZ35 only has f-stops to f-8. So are the manual controls more limited in the FZ35 than a DSLR? What will that mean for taking photos? What are the other limitations/differences in controls from an SLR? Not sure it will make much of a difference to me in shooting but I was encouraged to take a one day beginning DSLR workshop to learn manual controls and don't want to do that if there are so many differences it will be frustrating. In my ignorance I thought that the manual controls in the fz35 were the same as an SLR, though I am aware there are other significant differences. So please educate me. Thanks!
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:02 PM   #2

Loren-

You can stack filters, but at some point it will be wiser to add a lens adapter for filters and even accessory lenses, as that will prevent vignetting. Yes, you want a Circular Polarizer, especially if you will be using it later on a DSLR camera.

Yes, the FZ-35 has very similar controls to a typical DSLR camera. The difference is how much control will be available in those individual controls. For example, the FZ-35 has +/- 2.0 EV in Exposure Compensation. Top level DSLR cameras might have as much as +/- 3.0 to 5.0 EV, the same is true for aperture.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3
LEK

Hi Sarah. Thanks for the reply. So when you say "at some point it will be wiser to add a lens adapter", are you saying that I will get vignetting with 2 filters and should get a lens adapter, or are you saying that I shouldn't stack more than 2 lenses, but will be okay with 2? And if I get a lens adapter, is there a particular size and type to get? And is there a problem using the lens adapter with the lens hood?
I guess I can take off the uv filter and put on the polarizer when I want to use it, perhaps that's simpler?
I think I'll take the DSLR workshop just to learn, but is there a book or webpage that you know of that focuses on using the manual controls in these particular types of cameras, since yesterday the manual control conversation quickly went to numbers and parameters outside of my camera's range?
Thanks!

Last edited by LEK; Sep 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:08 AM   #4

Hi Lek,

I went to the mountains in July and i stacked a Circular Polarizer as well as a Neutral Density filter and that did result in vignetting - you can see the sample in the thread named "namaste from India" ...in the pictures of the Lake, u will see what i am talking about
RohanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:08 AM   #5
LEK

Yes, I think I will avoid vignetting and not stack the filters. I really think the easiest might be to just change out the filters for what I want, it's not that big a deal. Just have to research now, when I should leave the polarizer on, obviously for bright sunny days, but not sure if the polarizer would help or hurt in overcast, rain or snow conditions.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:18 PM   #6

Loren-

Yes, indeed, I am sure that you will get vignetting when stacking filters. Personally, I believe that the lens adapter has a dual purpose: (1) it eliminates vignetting (2) it is a second line of defense against lens damage, least the FZ-35 be dropped.

As an alternative, you can swap filters. I did follow up on your F 32 question. In a DSLR, I have found that my older lens that were originally intended for film DSLR's do get down to F 32. However, there is a unique problem with digital camera called "disfraction" that causes not an improvement, but a gradual decrease in image quality as the camera is stopped down to numerically high F numbers. My Pentax Kx can manually be stopped down to F 22.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote