Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:19 PM   #1

Default Improvement here with using FZ35?

So far I've really liked this camera a lot since I got it because the pictures are far and away the best I've ever shot and it totally fits my budget as its basically a dslr with a very nice lens.

These are some of my earlier shots which were described dull (its okay, I would love constructive criticism) :

I took those in program auto, so I tried to get some better images today.

None of these have been post processed.

They were all shot with -1/3 ev exposure (no flash)

All were shot in RAW, resized, converted to jpeg.

I thought I would play around a bit today in close up - flower mode.

I'm not sure how they look - you be the judge!

But I've been having a little problem that's really bugging me, which is creating accurate sky colors. I noticed this earlier when I took some family pictures in which the sky was a bright blue and it came out horrid gray.

Now I took this picture today with a beautiful blue sky and some clouds but it came out gray again - in scenic mode

Is there any way I can make my sky come out like Purple Hobbit does in her pictures posted in http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...nce-fz100.html I even followed her instructions but my results were vastly different as you can see.

This is her picture:

So what do you think I'm doing wrong?

Thank you,

Jake.

Last edited by Jyaku; Sep 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:31 PM   #2

Cant you just go to manual mode & adjust the color balance toward blue from the quick menu?

I also would try some different metering options.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 6:37 PM   #3

Actually, minus Exposure Compensation accomplishes that very easily.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 6:58 PM   #4

Thank you for answering,

Sarah I was already had -1/3 EV.. I'll try -1 or should I go even lower in bright sun conditions?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:17 PM   #5

Well the sun set, so I'll have to try the sky blue thing tomorrow. I just wanted to get two things worked out before my 30 day return expired. 1. Sky being blue and 2. Low noise and good low light quality pictures out on the street which was the primary reason I upgraded.

I was unhappy with noise in low light outdoor shots like these in Night Scenery Mode which used ISO 800:

So I tried going back to Programmable Auto and lowering the ISO to 400 and upping the exposure:

First try:

Second try:

Its hard to compare the frustration shot with the other two but I think first is underexposed and second a little overexposed so will have to try again, but it looks a whole lot better at ISO 400 compared to 800 at least to me.

I hope I can take pictures of when I'm out on the town at night or in streets, clubs or bars which is where I intended to take most of my pictures.

That said my problem isn't fully fixed.. I'm still trying. Anyone with an FZ35 have a particular setting for night shots that they might care to share?

Last edited by Jyaku; Sep 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:12 PM   #6

Jake,

I'm by far no expert, but I'll share some of my experience.

For the blue sky, it may not hurt to try -2/3 instead of just -1/3. I used pattern metering in that shot and made sure that when I focused I had part of the sky in the focus box too. However, I didn't have any clouds to contend with, that may have an effect on the final exposure as well. It may be just a process of trying different exposures, metering, composition, etc. For that particular shot, my EV was -1/3, ISO 100, f/4, shutter 1/1600, focal length at 18mm, white balance set to sunny, and shot in P. I had plenty of blown skies, so it helps to take lots of different shots and change up where you are focusing and see if that helps. I had some of a tree where I focused in the middle of the tree and got a blown sky. But then when I focused on the edge of the tree, depressed the shutter half way, then reposition to take the shot, I got a blue sky.

As for night shots. If you look in that same thread, I took a night shot in the night scenery mode. I set the camera on a post, used a 2-sec timer. The ISO was at 100 which greatly decreased the noise. Exposure time was 8 seconds, f/5.6, 6mm focal length, pattern metering. Again, this was in night scenery mode, so I didn't choose these settings. I'd try again using a lower ISO, tripod or something stationary, the timer, and a longer exposure. If I'm wrong, someone will chip in I'm sure

Good luck.

Diana
purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:09 PM   #7

Lately it seems I inadvertently have been bombarding this forum with quite a few questions to the point of being redundant, since although I liked some pictures put out by the FZ35, some were terrible and my 30 day trial time was fast running out and I needed to make a decision.

Anyways after using my camera for 3600 shots in the past 2 days trying to fix the problems (yes apparently I'm none too bright) well I've come to a decision now. I'd like to say thank you to everyone in this thread and Clint for helping me so much.

Here are the results.. first blue sky fixed:

Getting the exposure right has proven to be a major headache for me. I went so far as to try exposure bracketing earlier but that was an exercise in futility. Nothing seemed to help, in fact it made things worse. So I had an idea, I'd stop using Auto mode of any kind and went to full manual mode, where pressing the shutter, the bar would tell me exactly what I needed to do to get the exposure just perfect.

Here are my night shots now compared to before:

The hardest thing however is not doing this... (which proves there are no bad photo's, just bad photographers!)

I did manage to get a decent moonshot with 18x optical zoom though:

In retrospect, I have managed to fix this problem for the most part and will indeed be keeping this camera.

However looking at some of the other pictures others have posted, I do very much want an DSLR camera, but as my best friend who owns a Canon 550D said,

"I think the FZ35 is just a great camera for the money.
I think you might be disappointed by the DSLR over the FZ35, because you will have to buy more than just the body and maybe a kit lens to get better results than with the FZ35.
There will be literally no difference in picture quality in most shots, and to get better shots in low light situations, you will have to buy a fast lens, in addition to a multi-purpose zoom lens.
This tests suggest that you better don't take the FZ35 above ISO 200 or 400.
Using the T2i @ ISO 1600 with a F/1.4 lens you will capture about 16 to 32 times more light than with the FZ35 but how often will you have the opportunity to use this ability, and are you ready to burn approx. 1500 USD for being able to do that?"

So true indeed. As you well know real life budgets often tend to put a damper on things. So I guess I'll be forced into practicing for the DSLR by learning on the FZ35 manual mode learning what shutter speed/ aperture for photos for now!.

Again I'd like to thank this great forum and its members for putting up with me. I'll be posting more shots and hopefully your teaching will pay off.

Regards,

Jake.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:50 PM   #8

Good to see you coming along Jake.

I like that signature line - Making newbie mistakes since 2010 so you don't have to.. lol..

I'm sure all of us can say something like that one way or the other.

Steve
happy_peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:51 PM   #9

jake-

We all learn by "doing." In this case that means by taking photos. I am sure that you can easily see the excellent forward progress that you have already made as you learn more about your camera and photography in general.

You will continue to add to your knowledge base. Like for example, with your night photos switching the WB over to incandescent or tungsten WB will get rid of the yellow cast found in those photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:25 AM   #10

Jake - you're doing good. A good DSLR is a lot of money. Big lenses and changing them back and forth on the body. It certainly is frustrating at times trying to learn how to use a camera.

It seems like the "smarter" the camera is the harder it is to learn it.

I used to a Nikkormat 35mm camera with macro, normal and telephoto lenses.
It was simple - use the light meter inside then choose the shutter and aperture opening. Manual focus then shoot.

The FZ35 bundled all that together. You'll get there. Keep asking - keep learning.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote