Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:49 AM   #1

Default Please critique my first FZ35 photos

I've been playing around with my new FZ35 and need your honest opinion. All of these images have very little to no post processing, just cropping. I think I can only post 5 images at a time, so I have to do this in 3 parts. Please be patient with me, this is my first image upload! Hummingbirds are my favorite subject, so I will start with them.

saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:53 AM   #2

I think I can continue posting in the Quick Reply box. Let's try it. I will post my scenery shots next, which seem a bit blurry to me. I'm using the P setting, ISO 100, center meter and focus.

Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:55 AM   #3

Finally, my favorite animal shots.

I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions. So far, I'm really pleased with most of my results!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 3:04 AM   #4

All look nice and sharp to me and very good for a first set.

Try center-weighted metering instead of spot metering, the intelligent exposure setting and the af/ae lock on the scenery shots and you should be able to get more visible detail in the shadow areas without blowing the highlights. They don't look blurry at all to me.

I did this in PP but you should be able to get something closer to this straight out of camera with the intelligent exposure mode where you can still see the detail in the shadows:

MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 3:20 AM   #5

Thanks Martin! I haven't tried any of those exposure setting you mentioned yet. I will try them next. So many settings, so little time.....
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:16 AM   #6

I think anyone would be pleased with these, considering you are using the camera for the first time, it's a very good start.
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 4:27 AM   #7

And as much as possible, bring objects fully into the frame. The tail of the duck, the shell of the tortoise, the first metal arch - though all these have been truncated only a little, it still distracts. That is not the case with the feeder for the hummingbird, where the bird is the subject and it doesn't matter whether you get the feeder fully in or not. BTW, excellent photos. I don't believe you are a beginner.

If you have your photos on the internet in albums (like Picasa, Flickr, etc.), you can directly link the photos here. That way, I think, you can have several more photos attached in one thread.

Last edited by Raghu; Sep 27, 2010 at 4:40 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:46 AM   #8

They all look great to me.

As Raghu says - an internet album is very easy to "embed" or link pictures. I use Picasa web albums.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:53 AM   #9

I'm also a beginner but here's my 2 cents:
Hummingbird shots are great!
Most of the Sceneries are underexposed.
Ducks, tortoise, bees are great except the comments from Raghu above.
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:21 PM   #10

Thank you all for your kind words and great suggestions! I AM a beginner, I just moved up from a Cannon Elf point and shoot. I do have lots of experience with underwater (SCUBA) photography (film), so I have some experience with looking for subjects. I just opened an account on Picasa, and have these 13 shots posted, but haven't figured out how to set it so other people can see them..... I was trying to go for shots with dramatic shadows, and I think I went overboard, and that is why the outdoor shots are underexposed. I'm also still learning about exposure settings. I'll keep trying.