Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:04 PM   #1

Default Please judge

No pp except cropping, resizing and stroking the edges. Complete manual mode, no in-camera adjustments either. White Balance was set to cloudy since it was and spot metering and focus. Unfortunately I was not in macro mode either at the time, had to get a quick shot.

Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:36 PM   #2

It looks pretty good - but you have a lot of "subjects". My eyes are pulled back and forth to the bee - the fly - the flower, plus there is a lot of "empty" space in the middle.

This is where the post processing can help. I'd also add a little "saturation" to bring out the color. Many times I use Picasa "Feeling Lucky" button and it sometimes can really bring out the colors better.

I find myself thinking more on composition as well as lighting - lots to think about!!

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:03 PM   #3

Jake-

I agree with Clint. There is enough material there for two photo, therefore, it becomes visually distracting. It also need some post processing help in terms of saturation, sharpness, contrast and brightness.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:14 PM   #4

Tried picasa as per your suggestion and cropping and highlighting one and making the other less important.

How is it now? still crowded?

Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:56 AM   #5

It's cropped too tightly now - I think you need to cut it into two pictures as Sarah hinted. It's easy to see that space in the middle now but while you're shooting you don't see it. If you'd moved up and right a bit for the shot you could have reduced the visual gap between the fly and the bee and focused on the bee with the fly out of focus in the background which might have worked better. Something like this maybe (or you could do something like this properly in PP anyway)

MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:18 AM   #6

That's beautiful. I'll try and do something similar from now on, thank you!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:04 PM   #7

I'd crop it horizontally and eliminate the bottom part altogether. No, if there is more room on the right side of the bee on the original photo, I'd then center the bee a bit more but keeping the rule-of-thirds.
Attached Images

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote