Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:35 PM   #11

Thanks to all. I did not mention that I have looked at most everything on the net about the 35/40/100. The samples and comments posted by Clint501 and LTZ470 were most helpful. I asked my wife to evaluate the photos taken by the three models. Her subjective opinion was FZ35 first, FZ40 a very close second and the FZ100 a very distant third...my opinion as well.

One more question and comment. Is it safe to assume that the EVF will solve my 'find it' problem with the ZS6 LCD? It appears that the FZ35 is the best 'value' for our needs. My only hesitation is the purchase of a discontinued model versus the updated version.

My wife claims I research everything to death...amen.
salmon-run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:46 PM   #12

I often use the EVF in bright sunlight. I can't see the LCD clearly unless I have on my reading glasses. So I end up using both depending on the circumstances. I generally can find objects better using the EVF.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
...I found that generally I couldn't hand hold the FZ40 fully zoomed at 1/60 second but usually I could hold the FZ35 fully zoomed at 1/60 second.
The fact that you could zoom 18x (equivalent to 486mm) and shoot steady at 1/60 was already a great accomplishment. I say this because the rule-of-thumb for setting up the shutter speed to avoid motion blur is 1/focal length. So theoretically, according to the RoT, with the FZ35 zoomed all the way the shutter speed would have been 1/500. Now, the FZ40 full zoom offers a FL=600mm, so the shutter should be 1/600. Comparatively speaking, I say the FZ40 shutter speed at full zoom has to be no less than 1/125 for a hand held shot in good light unless you have very steady hands or sit the camera somewhere.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:01 PM   #14

Tullio - I'd say you are right on. Using the FZ40 if I have a shutter speed less than 1/125 I'm looking for something to steady on.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
I often use the EVF in bright sunlight. I can't see the LCD clearly unless I have on my reading glasses. So I end up using both depending on the circumstances. I generally can find objects better using the EVF.
I totally agree, I find the lcd more useful and use that most of the time unless I have a very slow shutter speed in which case the shake can ruin the shot. In that case, I'll often set it up on the lcd and then switch to the evf.

As for a discontinued model, well I researched it too, and the 35 was more proven and the safe bet rather than a new model that could have been a gamble. As far as not enough zoom, I'm currently researching getting a telephoto lens to add to the fz35.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:50 PM   #16

Jake-

At some point we have to look at this singular issue. Are you really perfecting your skills, or are you just chasing what is new.

Personally IMO, I think that what is really important is that you perfect your skills.

You have made a good start with the FZ-35. I would first get really proficient with the FZ-35, where you can do exactly what you want, each and every time. I don't think that you have reached that point yet. No offense intended, but that is the truth.

When you really perfect your skills on the FZ-35, then you will get much more traction out of the move to the FZ-40, FZ-100, or even to an entry level DSLR. This is really a progressive learning experience. Before you jump to a different camera, you have to really perfect your skills, to make the next jump worth it.

So my suggestion is to slow down and really master the FZ-35 first before moving onward, otherwise it does not make much sense.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:21 PM   #17

I think you might have mistaken me for the original poster in this thread. I just commented on the EVF/ LCD pro and cons.

But no offense taken Sarah and I welcome the truth and thank you for your very valid point.

I wasn't planning on ditching my camera at all, but that moonshots Clint produced and up close macro zooms did make me want to get the add on lens a bit. You brought up a point I didn't consider. How often will I take moonshots and wildlife considering I live in New York City which has more cement, iron, asphalt and cardboard buildings than lush green areas. I'll hold off on getting the telephoto add on lens then.

Last edited by Jyaku; Sep 30, 2010 at 8:25 PM.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:59 AM   #18

My apologies for the confusion, Jake-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:29 PM   #19

Since I started the thread I thought I should post a final update....

Sarah, I hate it when someone gives me good advice that I really do not want to hear (only kidding). The FZ35 I ordered ($299.95) should be here tomorrow.

I have downloaded the beginners guide, pocket guide and placed a new black cartridge in the printer so I can print out the full users guide (the ZS6 guide was 175 pages).

I have been keeping up with appropriate posts and have actually learned a little!

Thanks again to all.
salmon-run is offline   Reply With Quote