Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:37 AM   #1

Default Yet again...FZ35 or FZ40

Greetings. This is my first forum post. At 89 days after purchase I just returned my ZS6 to Costco because the LCD as a viewfinder does not work in bright sun! I could not pick up the nine Canadian Snowbirds trailing smoke 500' directly overhead at our local air show this weekend. The ZS6 was a replacement for our old trusty C2020 (don't laugh). It looks like either the FZ35 or FZ40 will provide MORE than we need along with an optical (electronic) viewfinder.

A current sale thru Sunday puts the pair within $30 of each other. My wife will want to use the camera as a true point and shoot. I am willing to make some adjustments to get a better picture. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors with the opportunity to capture wild game...but without the use of a tripod. We want something that takes great pictures out of the box, and better pictures as we experiment. FZ35 or FZ40 or no real difference?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wayne
salmon-run is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:14 AM   #2

Right now the betting for P&S type photo work is on FZ38, but all the other things suggest that you might want to consider FZ100. Excerpt from DPReview:

Subject Re: Need Help Fz 38 or FZ 100 [SIMILAR]
Posted by scoobydude
Date/Time 10:47:58 PM, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 (GMT)

On the FZ100
Fantastic flip screen so more choice for where you take a pic from
Higher resolution screen
Fast fps with auto focus between shots(5fps)
11fps at full resolution
Upgraded video 1080i

I did love taking photos with the fz38 but wouldn't want to go back to it, it did have slightly better image quality but with a little work the fz100 is more than up to the job. But at the end of the day it's still down to personal opinion as long as it's got the Fz at the start you'll be on to a winner
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 3:11 AM   #3

FZ35/38 has *slightly* better IQ due to the *slightly* lower megapixel count from what I've seen but for what you want to shoot I think the extra zoom of the FZ40 (24x instead of 18x) probably makes it your better choice. Only other real difference is that the FZ35/38 is quite a bit lighter than the FZ40.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:54 AM   #4

Using the FZ45 (which is my first "proper" camera), I've found I struggle to keep it steady at full zoom. I quite often end up with slightly blurry pictures if I'm not very careful, so I'm considering the FZ38 as I do a lot of handheld shots. This may be just me though as I have the same problem with binoculars! I need to do some weight lifting I think...
Samble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:00 AM   #5

Samble is correct. The longer the zoom the more likely you are to experience "the blurs."

Given the same low light light conditions - the FZ40 would be harder to hold steady. I can handhold a fully zoomed FZ35 shot better than my FZ40 shot - 18x compared to 24x. I found that generally I couldn't hand hold the FZ40 fully zoomed at 1/60 second but usually I could hold the FZ35 fully zoomed at 1/60 second.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:25 AM   #6

That's correct Clint, but some people seem to think it will be easier to get less blur with a lighter camera, the opposite is true. The FZ35 is only easier because of less magnification.
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:41 AM   #7

Clint - can you confirm that - can you hand-hold the FZ40 steady at 18x zoom? Just wondering if it is just the extra zoom that causes problems or if the IS is working any less efficiently.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe30 View Post
That's correct Clint, but some people seem to think it will be easier to get less blur with a lighter camera, the opposite is true. The FZ35 is only easier because of less magnification.
That was my point - it's the magnification factor and available light - not weight that affects me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
Clint - can you confirm that - can you hand-hold the FZ40 steady at 18x zoom? Just wondering if it is just the extra zoom that causes problems or if the IS is working any less efficiently.
My guess is the IS is the same on both cameras.

I know that I have to be a bit steadier with the FZ40 at full zoom if my shutter speed is 1/60. With the FZ35 at full zoom and shutter speed at 1/60 I'm fairly confident I can hand hold the shot.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Super Moderator

also keep in mind that in general you want 1/equivelent focal length for handholding a shot, minus the IS which is somewhere in the 2-4 stop range. so 1/60 that is pretty darn low for a 400+ equivelant focal length. this is not really reasonable for most people.

and as Martin points out they should be compared at equivelent focal length, of course the FZ40 will be tougher to handhold at full zoom its the equivelent of 600mm vs ~480mm,
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:49 AM   #10

@Salmon-run: if you look through this Forum, you will find many, many beautiful images shot by FZ35, FZ40 and FZ100. I think the bottom line is that unless you are a complete perfectionist, any one of these will work perfectly fine for you. Even full auto mode will work pretty well most of the time (for your wife), although you can make some very minor changes in the Program mode and still use it like point&shoot. By the way, I got my FZ35 3 weeks ago and from day one, I got better images than I ever did in my whole life with any other camera!
saly is offline   Reply With Quote