Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:50 AM   #1

Default FZ100 Owners Please Check This Out

Some posters over at the DPR Panny forum are finding anomalies in their photos that could mean some type of sensor problem. If you own the FZ100, please review the linked post and report your findings here and at DPR so we can see what's going on with this new cam. Hope Panny will review the findings.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36481133
Vandyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:17 AM   #2

I have seen this once in the many hundred pictures I have taken in both raw and jpg. It was in sunset setting,JPG, with class 6 card. I figured it did not record the info correctly.
DolnaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3

It has happened only once to me in approx. 500 photos total I've taken. I was inside with my back to a window, decent amount of daylight coming in. I was playing with the panorama assist mode. There was a stripe of blotching on the right side of the frame and was clearly visible on the lcd before I took the shot, (Class 6 card.)

DolnaM, I know this is a bit of a silly question since you were using sunset mode, but can you confirm you were outside when it happened to you?
VncvrIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:58 AM   #4

Yes I was outside, facing the sun. I can't remember if I have seen the pattern before I took the photo as I was trying to catch the moment when the sun reached the horizon.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:26 PM   #5

Any more thoughts on what this is? Sounds rare, but it worries me. I am interested in the IQ of the FZ100 and I can live with some softness, but this kind of irregularity isn't normal. Guess what I'm saying is, what are current owners planning to do? Watchfully wait and try to duplicate it? Contact Panasonic?
Vandyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandyu View Post
Any more thoughts on what this is? Sounds rare, but it worries me. I am interested in the IQ of the FZ100 and I can live with some softness, but this kind of irregularity isn't normal. Guess what I'm saying is, what are current owners planning to do? Watchfully wait and try to duplicate it? Contact Panasonic?

Worries me too as I thought it was just a one-time thing and didn't give it any further thought until now. At this point, I just have to wait and see really. I need the camera for a trip and don't have time to send it for servicing before I go. I would say though it depends on the frequency that this happens.
VncvrIslandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:06 AM   #7

I'd put money on that being a bug in the software for the intelligent exposure setting so I'd expect they can fix it with a firmware update.

I suspect how it works is that it divides the image into large squares, checks the dynamic range in each and for every square with a wide range, subdivides it again. Then it smoothes the values which would give you exactly the blobby but rectangularly aligned areas in photo in the linked post.

[Edit] I wonder if it's linked to the new motion-deblur setting which includes intelligent exposure.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Oct 1, 2010 at 5:27 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:55 AM   #8

I have this problem, too. The shadowed rectangles and also this pattern. Like others said: it don't happen often. I can live with that. I really like this little camera. But I want to make sure, it won't get worse.
I had contacted Panasonic. All they said, it might be my sdhc cards fault, they have never seen something like that. I should try another card (had a class 10 card).
I think, if everybody contacts Panasonic, they'll have to take care of it.
nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:11 AM   #9

yeah that was a brand new card. i don't think that is the one to blame. I think I can live with an occasional blip as long as it won't get worse. This is the camera that fits my needs the most, so I'll wait and see too.