Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:08 PM   #1

Default Normal or fault?

I've got the FZ45 and am currently trying out the FZ38 to see which is best for me. It arrived yesterday and to compare the two I snapped a few indoor shots, just to see what P&S would be like. I tried to keep the settings roughly the same - limited to 400, AWB, roughly same zoom. To my surprise, the colour tone seemed to be very different between the two cameras - the FZ38 being more yellowy and the FZ45 more blue. I was also surprised to see that the FZ38 seemed to produce yellow splotches or weird gradients across a number of the pictures, and the FZ45 didn't. I had expected somehow for the 38 to be better than the 45 indoors without flash.

I was wondering if the colour difference, and the yellow splotches/gradient are normal or suggest I've got a faulty FZ38? I've put in a few shots below (excuse the terrible focusing etc) - the first two show the colour difference, and the last two the yellowy lines and splotches that the FZ38 was producing.

1) FZ38
P1000036 by Samble2, on Flickr

2) FZ45 blue tone
P1000230 by Samble2, on Flickr

3) FZ45 looking for splotches
P1000254 by Samble2, on Flickr

4) FZ38 looking for splotches and finding weird colours and lines
P1000257 by Samble2, on Flickr

6) FZ38 splotches
Attached Images

Samble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:20 PM   #2

Not sure I would call what you see "splotches". Just looks like standard or classic high ISO type camera noise.

Your FZ38 looks fine. It just takes PIXes differently than the other FZ. IMO you just need to tailor the FZ38 for the situation/available type lighting (eg, ISO, WB, EV, Focus, etc.).

PS: I dont even own an FZ38, but I bet that with just using camera settings, I could make YOUR FZ38 take that same PIX and it would show phenomenal.

Last edited by sdromel; Oct 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM. Reason: Adds Info
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
Not sure I would call what you see "splotches". Just looks like standard or classic high ISO type camera noise.

Your FZ38 looks fine. It just takes PIXes differently than the other FZ. IMO you just need to tailor the FZ38 for the situation/available type lighting (eg, ISO, WB, EV, Focus, etc.).
Thanks. I know I will need to alter settings, but I was surprised by the difference between the two cameras - if it was just noise, I thought the 45 should show similar problems and it seems to have less. Thats why I wondered if the fz38 was faulty. I'm quite prepared to learn to use both cameras, and I realise totally that when I do the shots would be 100% better - that wasn't what I was asking.

Last edited by Samble; Oct 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:47 PM   #4

Whenever something like what your experiencing happens, then just compare the settings each camera has derived for the PIX. You could try setting the FZ38 to the settings FZ45 says it used & see what happens (eg, for some reason FZ45 used an ISO of 160 while the FZ38 used 400). Also, check your in-camera settings (via the menu). Sometimes a camera can have a forgotten about manual setting (eg, WB=halogen or custom) activated (eg, just yesterday after my rainbow shoot, I forgot to change the saturation setting back to normal from the previous shoot).

Last edited by sdromel; Oct 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:01 PM   #5

The settings for both cameras were exactly the same - I had them on P mode so I could ensure they used the same ISO (400). The zoom factor was as close as I could get between the two. They both used the same shutter speed, and the same f number, according to Picasa at least.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:09 PM   #6

In your original post you stated "limited to 400" versus manually fixed to ISO 400, so I assumed that in "P" mode (and ISO=Auto) each camera has latitude to choose ISO up to the limit 400.

It looks though, like a major difference in ISO choice between cameras (which would help account for the 38's yellow cast, but the best bet now is to learn what others think/suggest.
Attached Images

Last edited by sdromel; Oct 1, 2010 at 3:35 PM. Reason: Add FZ38 PIX Filtered for Noise & Color for match to FZ45
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:56 PM   #7

one way to check it out, if you have one nearby, is to look at cameras like yours at local stores, try them out..I usually bring chips with me to place inside and try them out..take them home and compare.
I do several shots in 'specific' combinations I normally use for macro, portrait, etc. then see how each camera does.
if You do not have a way to do this...to see which of the fz compare with your fz, this is a model to model check mind you. You will have to do it as a different model to model check.

Sorry, if I confused y'all...
It goes this way: I compare my kodak x981 to the canon sxis to see which picture I like best at the same settings...
or two cameras of the same model; kodak z981 to see if there is a difference in the same settings...to my own camera...and see if mine has a problem.

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Oct 1, 2010 at 3:56 PM. Reason: usually it is me that is the problem, not changing one thing or another to match the other cameras...etc. driver error
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:09 PM   #8

I thinks it's in how the software is interpreting the picture. My guess is it's a bit different in each camera.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:02 PM   #9

Yeah, I meant limited to iso 400 - sorry if I was unclear. According to Picasa, both cameras were shooting at 400. It just seems a bit weird is all, but if people feel it matches what they get from their 38 and 45, then I guess my 38 is fine. Does make my decision even more tricky though - I was hoping of the two the 38 would be better indoors or at least the same
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:26 PM   #10

BTW, just because a camera might use a gimmic like in-camera processing to remove ISO noise doesnt mean necessarily that it's producing better PIXes. Not if you are stuck with mandatory noise removal that results in taking out detail (which is usually the case).