Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:47 PM   #11

Finch...go out there and Click click click...u will love this cam !!!!
aarunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:46 AM   #12

Finch - Being a newbie myself, just wanted to point out a couple of things I learned. Setting the ISO limit is different from setting the ISO value. Your earlier post said that you were going to set the ISO to 400, which is probably too high for outdoor, daylight shots. Higher the ISO value, grainier the image. You only need 400 and higher settings for low light conditions. I suggest you set the ISO limit to 800, but set the ISO value (Sensitivity menu) to Auto. This means the camera will automatically select the right ISO value for your surrounding, but it will not set it above the limit you've set (800). Once you get more familiar with the camera, then you can start playing with setting your ISO value.

One other thing I wanted to point out is about macro (close up), which I love. You can get into macro mode by either turning the big dial on the top to the flower setting, or by depressing the small AF/AF/MF button on the top. I found out that when you use the dial, you get into full auto mode which voids all your custom settings, the most important one being the focus area selection. I find that being able to "point focus" is critical when shooting macro, so I always choose the AF/AF/MF method. I encourage you to try some macro photography because you can get awesome images quite easily. Oh, by the way, don't choose Macro Zoom (under AF/AF/MF mode) because that appears to put you in digital zoom where the image quality is quite poor.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:17 AM   #13

Saly, i was interested in your macro point. I don't use the AF/... button but if you advise it i will as your macro shots are good. I got my macro lens ready now but illness got me so haven't taken any yet as haven't been out.
I have been reading up on photography when i could and making myself new notes as i lost all of mine.
What do you use - AF- AF MACRO or MF and why?
what is AF/AE Lock for?
what's the focus button for? and how do i change the apature/shutter speeds? Or do you stay in P mode all the time?
E

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:18 PM   #14

eysha - Glad to hear that you are feeling better. If you are using the conversion lens (LC55), you don't need to set AF MACRO. That setting is only if you are shooting macro without any added lens.

AF/AE Lock - see Page 141 of advanced user guide. Note this only works when your ISO (sensitivity) is set to Auto, so I never use it because I like to select my ISO values.

The focus button - See Page 45 of advanced user guide. I've never used it so I can't give you any more info.

Quicker to refer you to these pages than retyping what I'm reading...
Old Jan 4, 2011, 1:35 PM   #15

Thanks Saly, ys i am feeling a bit better now but still no photographs as yet. I will go look at the guide but to be honest, like a lot of other people i hate reading it as i don't find it helps really, just confusses me, lol.
e

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:20 PM   #16

E-

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. However, I am concerned about your comments regarding hating to read, and finding that it does not help much. That sirely does sound like a real mental block to further learning to me!

The experienced folks in this folder got that way, because they were open to and willing to learn.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
AF/AE Lock - see Page 141 of advanced user guide. Note this only works when your ISO (sensitivity) is set to Auto, so I never use it because I like to select my ISO values.
That's what it [incorrectly] says in the user guide, I always set the ISO manually, AF/AE Lock still works, I have it set for AF Lock, it's quite useful in some situations.
joe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe30 View Post
That's what it [incorrectly] says in the user guide, I always set the ISO manually, AF/AE Lock still works, I have it set for AF Lock, it's quite useful in some situations.
Really? That's good know! Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:05 PM   #19

Sarah, i think you read my post wrong and made up your own interpretation. Like many others here i do not like reading the manuel and i do not find it particularly helpful either, again like many other here. However, whatever it sounds like to you i do not have a mental block to learning, and never have, which is why i have four professional qualifications.
I am open to and willing to learn therefore your need for concern is not needed. I aways find it wise never to assume anything, or be judgmental. In this instance i found your post unhelpful and hurtful. E

Last edited by eysha; Jan 5, 2011 at 1:58 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Saly, i think you read my post wrong and made up your own interpretation. Like many others here i do not like reading the manuel and i do not find it particularly helpful either, again like many other here. However, whatever it sounds like to you i do not have a mental block to learning, and never have, which is why i have four professional qualifications.
I am open to and willing to learn therefore your need for concern is not needed. I aways find it wise never to assume anything. In this instance i found your post unhelpful and hurtful. E
eysha - actually that was not my post.