Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:33 AM   #1

Default Pics from FZ35 in the Amazon and at play...

I've had my FZ35 since mid-August and took it on a trip to Peru. Its weight was perfect and I'm pretty happy with the resulting pics, but I think the bug has bit... I have been playing around with a G2 for the past week or so I'm still trying to decide between the two in terms of IQ, weight and usability, but I'm not much closer to a decision.

In general, I'd appreciate feedback on how I could have improved the FZ35 shots in the following Flickr sets. Some of them have been post-processed using PIcasa (fill light, cropped, etc.), but not heavily.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1289572...7625076873832/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1289572...7625076875000/

Thanks!

Last edited by larryka; Oct 2, 2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Wrong URL for one of the sets...
larryka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:03 AM   #2

Good pictures! i like it
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by idenny View Post
Good pictures! i like it
Thanks. I took around 1900 total over 8 days, so these are just my favorites that I felt were worthy of eyes other than people I can torture with long slideshows

I just added some more from some areas besides the Amazon. I'm torn between the light weight and simplicity (e.g. no lense changes necessary) of the FZ35 vs. the G2. Hopefully I can find some situations this weekend to test the G2 in that the results are obviously better.

Regardless of if I keep the FZ35 or the G2, I'd still like comments on how to improve my shots in general.

- Lawrence
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:31 AM   #4

Here's a Flickr set of some random shots I took with the G2 I'm testing...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1289572...th/5043674112/

- Lawrence
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:36 AM   #5

cool!
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:12 AM   #6

Larry-

Referring to the last link (the G-2 test shots), the WB is set improperly in the Superman and Dick Tracy photos. Therefore they will have to be adjusted in post processing.

The FZ-35 and the G-2 are indeed a bit similar, as they both top out at around ISO 800. I consider the FZ-35 to be a more user friendly camera, that offers a lot more long end zoom that is just not available on the G-2, unless you purchas the $279.00 even Panasonic 40-200mm lens.

On the other 2 links, the FZ-35 has served you well, but a number of times you get a surprising number of over exposures. You have to be more aware of where you are letting the FZ-35 both focus and meter. I would suggest that you either use the bracketing feature, or spot metering and spot focus more.

You do tend to like low light photo environments at times. The G-2 or the FZ-35 will basically be limited to around ISO 800. If you really desire more ISO capability, I would take a look at the Pentax Kx DSLR, which is only slightly larger than the G-2 and can easily push the ISO to ISO 3200 or ISO 6400 with relative ease. That might be a better solution than the G-2.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 2, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:02 PM   #7

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the feedback, it's what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Referring to the last link (the G-2 test shots), the WB is set improperly in the Superman and Dick Tracy photos. Therefore they will have to be adjusted in post processing.
I haven't really been paying attention to WB, so that's something I'll take a closer look at.

Quote:
...that offers a lot more long end zoom that is just not available on the G-2, unless you purchase the $279.00 even Panasonic 40-200mm lens.
I like the articulating display on the G2 and it's lens flexibility but I'm not sure if I'm really going to take advantage of that in the long run. I did buy the Panasonic 45-200mm lens with the G2, so I've been playing around with that and the 14-42mm kit lens to try to keep the FZ35 comparison fair in terms of zoom.

Quote:
On the other 2 links, the FZ-35 has served you well, but a number of times you get a surprising number of over exposures. You have to be more aware of where you are letting the FZ-35 both focus and meter. I would suggest that you either use the bracketing feature, or spot metering and spot focus more.
Ok. I usually shoot with spot focus enabled on both cameras, unless I switch to iA or manual focus. I haven't done much with the metering settings though. I usually have the histogram enabled in an attempt to avoid under/overexposures, but from what I understand, it's just a guide and not necessarily how the exposure will be recorded. I used EV bracketing for a couple of shots, but I didn't really notice which ones in my resulting set I guess I have some room for improvement in this area...

Quote:
...I would take a look at the Pentax Kx DSLR, which is only slightly larger than the G-2 and can easily push the ISO to ISO 3200 or ISO 6400 with relative ease. That might be a better solution than the G-2.
I haven't looked at the Kx too closely, but I will. I've been reading up on the Sony A33/A55 lately. I'm really trying to keep the weight/size with two lenses (with 35mm equivalents around the FZ35's range) as close to the FZ35 as possible, but I know there are going to be trade-offs for IQ.

Thanks again for the comments.

- Lawrence (I really need to change my handle to not include larryka, but I've been using it forever )
Old Oct 2, 2010, 3:35 PM   #8

Lawrence-

The Pentax Kx is very small and the 2 lens kit that includes the Pentax 18-55mm and Pentax 55-300mm lens is the preferred two lens kit. That will give you good zoom reach.

I have attached a link to a photo where you can see a direct size comparison between the Panasonic FZ-28 and the Pentax KX.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...9_V58pi-X3.png

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote