Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:22 PM   #1

Default FZ35 whitetail photos....need advice.

Hey guys

This morning was Virginia's opening day of bow season. It was a perfect morning to test my FZ35's new "P" settings that Jyaku provided me with. I feel that I definitely need to change some settings to obtain the desired results. This buck was leisurely walking and browsing for food. All of his movements were slow but the pics show a lot of blur. He was also at about 35-40 yards. I started using the "P" dial and then tried iA which seemed to provide better results. I then tried shutter priority. Forgive me but I don't remember which settings go with what pictures unless otherwise specified below. Also, I tried uploading with Picassa but it was taking forever. Had to use photobucket. These photos are straight from the camera. I'd appreciate any help.

"p" settings I used

Picture size 10.1
quality: Extra Fine Jpeg
Aspect Ratio: 3:2
Intelligent ISO: ON
ISO limit set: 800
White Balance: AWB
Face Recognition: OFF
AF Mode: Area
Pre-Af - Q-AF
AF/AE Lock - AF/AE
Metering Mode - Default
I. Exposure - Low
Digital Zoom - OFF
Min Shutter Speed - Not choosable due to intelligent ISO otherwise pictures would default to the setting I put here.
Color Effect: OFF
Picture adjustment: Contrast 1, Sharpness 1, Saturation 1, Noise Reduction -1
Stabilizer: Auto
AF assist Lamp - On
Flash Synchro- 1st
Red Eye Removal - On
Conversion - Off

The first three photos I am positive I was on the
"P" setting. The others were either iA or SP.

I think 8 & 9 may have been on iA.

Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:43 PM   #2
Administrator

Your shutter speeds are really way too slow for anything other than a stationary subject, and are also too slow for a hand held camera if you don't want blur from camera shake, even with stabilization (I'm surprised they turned out as well as they did with shutter speeds as slow as the EXIF is showing for those).

It looks like they were taken at shutter speeds ranging from around 1/6 second to 1/15 second from the few I looked at, even though ISO speed was relatively high. That's *way* too slow for a hand held camera at the focal lengths you were shooting at, even if the subject was not moving at all (since I'd still expect blur from camera shake using shutter speeds that slow).

Were you using any filters on it? If so, remove them and see what you get.

It also looks like they're a tad overexposed (and I see that a +0.3 EV setting with Exposure Compensation was being used, which would have cause them to be a bit overexposed, and would also result in a slightly slower shutter speed). I'd probably reset it to defaults in case something else is set wrong (and you should find a reset choice in the setup menus somewhere).

But, the biggest issue from what I can see is that you really don't have enough light (which is why your shutter speeds are too slow).

You could go ISO 1600 and get slightly faster shutter speeds. But, they'd still be way too slow to capture moving subjects without getting some blur, and you may still get some blur from camera shake.

So, either it's very dark in that area for the time of day you took those photos (around 8:00AM from what I can see of the EXIF info in them), or you are using a filter that's blocking some of the light.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:43 PM   #3

Ok yes definitely. I gave you those settings as a starting point. But those pictures are overexposed and I had the same problem. You can solve it by lowering the exposure setting by -1/3 or -2/3rd and staying with program auto which is prefered by most. That's a flexible setting to adapt to your condition. Also you can take iso off auto/ intelligent and go with manual iso of 400. The camera will compensate.

As for the blur.. I think that's your hands shaking unless you used a tripod. The camera does have auto image stabilization but once you zoom, even the slightest move and it blurs the image.

Last edited by Jyaku; Oct 2, 2010 at 9:58 PM.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:48 PM   #4

Finch - 30 to 45 yards is pretty far and you need really steady hands or a tripod at that zoom. Also, it looks pretty dark, was it very early in the morning? A low light condition would force a slower shutter speed and would explain the blur.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:49 PM   #5

Actually try these in program mode first and see if it helps. Continuos auto focus will help when you're shooting something that moves.

Picture size 10.5
Intelligent ISO: OFF
ISO: 400 (200/400 for bright daylight situation and 800/1600 for dark night situations)

AF Mode: Spot
Pre-Af - C-AF
AF/AE Lock - AF/AE
Metering Mode - Center
I. Exposure - Off
Min Shutter Speed - 1/4
Picture adjustment: Contrast 1, Sharpness 1, Saturation 1, Noise Reduction 0
AF assist Lamp - On
Flash Synchro- 1st
Red Eye Removal - On
Conversion - Off

Last edited by Jyaku; Oct 2, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:50 PM   #6
Super Moderator

this is a very difficult task for a camera, especially a bridge camera. growing up myself in central illinois duck and deer hunting, i know how dark the woods can be during dawn or dusk when the deer are most active.

your shutter speeds are just way too low as jim mentioned, and i can see from your exif your shutter speeds are just way too low.

you are going to have to accept alot of noise in your image and use the highest iso speeds in these conditions. so you will have to use ISO 1600. it will be quite noisy, but it will be better than the motion and camera shake blur you have going on in these pictures. and for presenting at a small web size image like this, the noise will be less problematic.

i would go ahead and just lock it at ISO 1600 and hope you get the shutter speeds you need, and just deal with accompanying noise.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:51 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaku View Post
Actually try these and see if it helps. Continous auto focus will help when you're shooting something that moves.

Picture size 10.5
Intelligent ISO: OFF
ISO: 400

ISO limit set: 800
AF Mode: Spot
Pre-Af - C-AF
AF/AE Lock - AF/AE
Metering Mode - Center
I. Exposure - Off
Min Shutter Speed - 1/4
Picture adjustment: Contrast 1, Sharpness 1, Saturation 1, Noise Reduction 0
AF assist Lamp - On
Flash Synchro- 1st
Red Eye Removal - On
Conversion - Off
no disrespect meant, but in these dark conditions that will not work.

it is very dark in the timber at this time of day. the only chance he has is using iso 1600, and even that will probably not be enough.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 9:56 PM   #8

You're right. I should have mentioned 200/ 400 iso for daylight like conditions in those pictures taken and 800+ for night. But I think at that focal length of 505 mm, a tripod is a must unless the target is absolutely still and no movement.

Last edited by Jyaku; Oct 2, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:23 PM   #9

Jim: I guess you can tell I'm the newest newbie? Anyway, no filters were used. It was early and our trees still have all their leaves. So you're saying that I'll never be able to capture desirable results while shooting in these conditions (even if my settings were spot on)? Are you talking about resetting the defaults for an individual mode such as the "P" mode or all defaults?

Also, Im at work now running an older version of IE. Is that why I can't see the EXIF info?

Jyaku: Thanks for the starting point. I figured those settings would not be ideal for the type of conditions I was shooting but I had no clue otherwise.

Saly: A few of those shots I felt as if I were holding pretty steady. I'm not sure if I'm going to rig some sort of tripod on my treestand. I have to remember the main reason I'm out there.

Hards80: Silly question. If I do adjust the ISO to 1600, do I need to manually adjust the shutter speed each time depending on the shot conditions? I want to receive the best results but I don't always have the time to fiddle with the camera b/c the subject may venture off.

I guess bottom line....I need more light. I'm trying to figure this photography thing out. Rember guys, I've always been a P&S guy. Thanks for all the help. I hope to one day provide some quality images for you to enjoy.
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:33 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaku View Post
You're right. I should have mentioned 200/ 400 iso for daylight like conditions in those pictures taken and 800+ for night. But I think at that focal length of 505 mm, a tripod is a must unless the target is absolutely still and no movement.
the tripod will not help with subject movement. it will only help with the camera shake.