Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:44 PM   #11

optical zoom is always good, its created by the lens moving in front of the camera.. everything else is pretty much useless: extended zoom, digital zoom, etc.
ESCOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:05 PM   #12

The FZ's "extended zoom" is OK. It's just a crop of the regular optical zoom. It's when you use the "digital" zooms that the pictures looses quality. I may have confused you earlier...........I confuse myself lots of times.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:41 PM   #13

To add to your confusion, the FZ100 has a feature called "Intelligent Zoom" which maintains 14mp but extends the zoom to 32X, with no IQ deterioration, they say. It somehow uses some digital zoom, but don't ask me how. I tend to believe my own lyin' eyes when looking at pictures and I can tell you that the shots at 32X are clear and sharp as a tack, as good as 24X certainly. As another member has said, though, the extra zoom out past 15 or 20 is not as important as it seems on paper.

I like Canon cameras but the FZ100 has other features not found elsewhere, especially the various burst modes. You can even do bursts while filming videos.

I waited to see the Canon specs before I bought the FZ100. Canon just can't compete in features. Whether the images are better or worse is a subjective thing that you will have to weigh after seeing dozens of comparison photos that are and will soon be available.

Should you decide on the FZ100, I suggest you put it on iA, select Happy mode and have a blast. You will be in for lots of fun and many, many new discoveries.

Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post

Should you decide on the FZ100, I suggest you put it on iA, select Happy mode and have a blast. You will be in for lots of fun and many, many new discoveries.

Jack
"Happy Mode", Setter Dog?

I just have to know what this is. Will you share with us?
Roooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:52 AM   #15

Roooby,

Happy mode is one of the few settings available in iA mode. It makes the pictures a more colorful and pleasing, at least to my eye. You might try a couple with and without Happy activated and see what you think. Although Although I use Aperture mode for most of my shots, I think iA does as well as I do in most situations. My shots are mostly people and dogs outdoors, kids playing sports etc.

The only problem I've had with my Big Fuzzy is indoor flash. All pictures in all modes except ia were too dark, even though well within the range of the flash. Clint told me how to boost the flash power and now I get good results in all modes.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz100/index.html

If you haven't seen the above link, you may find it helpful. It's much easier to use than the manual and has a lot of good information.

Enjoy your camera!

Jack
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:13 AM   #16

Thanks, Setter Dog.
Roooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setter Dog View Post
Roooby,

Happy mode is one of the few settings available in iA mode. It makes the pictures a more colorful and pleasing, at least to my eye. You might try a couple with and without Happy activated and see what you think. Although Although I use Aperture mode for most of my shots, I think iA does as well as I do in most situations. My shots are mostly people and dogs outdoors, kids playing sports etc.

The only problem I've had with my Big Fuzzy is indoor flash. All pictures in all modes except ia were too dark, even though well within the range of the flash. Clint told me how to boost the flash power and now I get good results in all modes.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz100/index.html

If you haven't seen the above link, you may find it helpful. It's much easier to use than the manual and has a lot of good information.

Enjoy your camera!

Jack
hi setter dog, do you mind sharing how to boost the flash power?
sjkforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:35 PM   #18

Just click on the button at the 12 O'clock position of the four that are around the select button at the bottom right of the camera. Click several times until flash is displayed, then click right to increase the flash power. You may need to try several settings to get what you want.

This top button is referred to as the exposure button.

Jack
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:58 PM   #19

A week back I was in the same confusion and after a long dilemma, I finally bought SX30IS on a 10 day try and return policy. So far I am very satisfied with the results. Image quality is very good. I posted many pics in the Canon section of this forum. The zoom is really good and as the IS. On the negetive side, yes the EVF is not very effective and some times the camera is producing flat images (in my case just 1%).
I am posting some pics here. Just resized for posting.
If you ask me, I would recommend SX30IS mainly because it is easy and fun to use. No expertise is required to start. And more over IQ & IS, atleast to me, are very good.
But like me, buy it on return policy and if you are not satisfied with the results you can always exchange for the other one. All the best.

original images are available at flickr and picasa, for the link check the my thread in the Canon section of this forum.
Attached Images

VARAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:04 PM   #20

Some more pics...
Attached Images

VARAP is offline   Reply With Quote