Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:58 PM   #1

Default torn between fz100 and canon sx30...needs ur expertise!!!

hi everyone

before i write my thread, here's a little background

i just purchased the fz100 yesterday (this is my first camera ever!!! so im very very new when it comes to cameras...)

i was torn between fz100 and canon sx30 but decided to pull the string on the fz100....largely due to larger lcd screen with better resolution and 1080p movie mode

but everytime i look at the 35x optical zoom for canon...i keep second-guessing myself as a zoom is also a big factor in my decision as well

in midst of my "agony", i came across this function called the extended optical zoom where it can zoom up to 50x without losing any image quality granted that you shoot at lower resolution (according to the manual)

i am very noob when it comes to cameras but through my research, i found that there is no difference between 5mp and 14mp unless u tend to print large pictures...(but my main purpose is to post pictures on facebook and view them on my tv so i dont think this would matter.....again...i could be so wrong on this....)

am i novice to think that this extended optical zoom will match canon sx30's 36x optical zoom without losing any image quality as long as i dont print large pictures??????????

any advice or opinions would really help me

thank you so much!!!!!!!!
sjkforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:16 PM   #2

In my humble opinion zoom is nice but not at the cost of picture quality.

To be honest there is not much difference inbetween 18x and 35x zoom. It sounds like a lot but there isn't. You reach a point of diminishing returns. As in 1x to 5x zoom makes a much greater difference in zooming than 18x to 35x or beyond. If you look at Clint's images its obvious the sx30is has a very distinct blue tint and its images are coming out a bit washed.

As long as you use optical zoom, you won't see degradation of pictures. For me image quality is always number 1 so I was willing to sacrifice a little zoom.

Also since most of the pictures are pictures you'll be using on the web and facebook.. I imagine you won't be posting them fullsized at 14 megapixel. You'll likely resize them. You can do that by cropping the image if zoom isn't enough and then resizing it.

Last edited by Jyaku; Oct 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:40 PM   #3

i'll probably order fz35 or fz40 tonight. Can't decide that's $326 for fz40 and $270 for used fz35 i refuse to buy the new condition because that's makes it more expensive than fz40

i have to start the thread see what people think about it because this thread going to be nonsense

Last edited by idenny; Oct 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM.
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 4:46 PM   #4

It is a bit early to pass judgement about the sx30, as clint mention he needs to find out more about the camera settings. If you go by early results, the fz40 and fz100 were pretty poor until people figure out the settings.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:16 PM   #5

I can definitely say the FZ100 has a MUCH better EVF (the SX30 EVF is really very poor) and LCD screen than the SX30.
I wanted to try out the SX30 mainly because it has a CCD chip like the FZ40 and FZ35 and for it's articulating LCD.
It does get a bit more zoom than the FZ100 (same as FZ40) but not much. Digital zoom extenders are nothing more than a close up crop of the optical zoom (something easily done on the PC). The picture quality is very degraded going to the digital zooms.

Also if you do videos the FZ100 is much better than the SX30.

If you're mainly doing Facebook pictures the FZ100 is more than enough camera.

I'm still learning the SX30 so I haven't made up my mind to keep it yet.

It's also harder to hold the camera steady at 35x as compared to 24x.

Battery life for the SX30 not too great - about 370 shots per the manual.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything

Last edited by Clint501; Oct 7, 2010 at 5:25 PM.
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:19 PM   #6

If you're mainly doing Facebook pictures the FZ100 is more than enough camera

BAHAHAHHA!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:24 PM   #7

sjk - look through this forum for Clint501's recent posts. He's been doing some serious comparison of the FZ and the SX.

Idenny - is that what the FZ35s are going for? I paid $299 (free shipping) for a new one through Amazon just 3 weeks ago!
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
sjk - look through this forum for Clint501's recent posts. He's been doing some serious comparison of the FZ and the SX.

Idenny - is that what the FZ35s are going for? I paid $299 (free shipping) for a new one through Amazon just 3 weeks ago!
yeah the new one goes for $340 average... i think 320 is the lowest. So fz40 is way to go if you wanna buy it new
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:32 PM   #9

Default FZ100 Zoom Zoom

http://previewofmyfz100.canalblog.co...100/index.html

Looks like FZ100 PIXes coming in are pretty good now.

These seem pretty impressive :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36537026

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36687621

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36515211

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36524048

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36552938

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36576440

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=36517835

There are all kinds of comparisons now between FZ100 and SX30 too.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...shootout.shtml

However, FZ100 is turning out to certainly not be everyone's type camera.
To consistently ensure good photos looks to be beyond P&S.
As one owner states:

"It seems some aren’t pleased with some aspects of the camera.
I couldn’t be happier. It is however a camera that demands you at least try and understand it."

Another recent owner writes:

my new fz100 is fast becoming quite the treasured friend.
So with nr set to -2 and no post noise reduction to date the camera has allowed me to take images not possible with the fz28.

There is lots of noise, the test show that, in contradiction there is also impressive clarity and tone especially in the color.
Slowly users will understand the new unique benefits this camera clearly brings and learn play to them, it will take time.

Apart from the extraordinary flexibility, it is the color clarity and the resulting handling of whites that finally convinced me to buy the camera.
I hadn’t seen anything quite like it.

Now that I own one, I couldn’t be happier.
You couldn’t pry it off me.
=======================

Last edited by sdromel; Oct 20, 2010 at 7:11 PM.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
I can definitely say the FZ100 has a MUCH better EVF (the SX30 EVF is really very poor) and LCD screen than the SX30.
I wanted to try out the SX30 mainly because it has a CCD chip like the FZ40 and FZ35 and for it's articulating LCD.
It does get a bit more zoom than the FZ100 (same as FZ40) but not much. Digital zoom extenders are nothing more than a close up crop of the optical zoom (something easily done on the PC). The picture quality is very degraded going to the digital zooms.

Also if you do videos the FZ100 is much better than the SX30.

If you're mainly doing Facebook pictures the FZ100 is more than enough camera.

I'm still learning the SX30 so I haven't made up my mind to keep it yet.

It's also harder to hold the camera steady at 35x as compared to 24x.

Battery life for the SX30 not too great - about 370 shots per the manual.
so extended optical zoom is just another fancy word for digital zoom? sorry...but bit confused by manual's "no image deterioration" comment....
sjkforever is offline   Reply With Quote