Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:22 PM   #1

Default Hubby's Blue TS2 arrived last night

My husband wanted a compact, life proof-ish camera. We settled on the TS2.

It's not a half bad camera. He's quite happy with it. all he has to do is point and shoot on auto, lol. He tried using my DSLR just to see how it handled and he said, "so when should my camera be here?" lol

You do have to be careful where you put your fingers with your left hand. It's VERY easy to get your fingers in the shot or get a shadow from your hand...but then I'm use to a lens way out in front, so maybe that's not an issue for other people...

Here are a couple of quick shots I grabbed while I was out halloween shopping today.

purpleehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:42 PM   #2

Those look good, Diana-

The camera action of the TS2 should make hubby happy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:50 PM   #3

Yeah, he's liking it so far. The video is really good on it as well.

Obviously, indoors is not it's strong suit. I got a lot of red-eye with the flash, but it didn't do horrible. It's hard for me going back after seeing what the A500 can do, which had no red-eye at all, even straight on, which surprised me.

But he will like that it fits in your pocket. It was in my pocket while I was shopping since I didn't want to leave it in the car. He's very much a stick in your pocket, p&s kind of guy. And he wanted something so when we take the kids to the beach he doesn't have to worry so much if it's get water on it.

Diana
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:52 PM   #4

Did you try turning off the AF Assist Lamp purple? That might remove the red.

Great pics btw. I think Lumix is much better image quality than canon on the point and shoots.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaku View Post
Did you try turning off the AF Assist Lamp purple? That might remove the red.

Great pics btw. I think Lumix is much better image quality than canon on the point and shoots.
No, I didn't try that. I haven't even read what the lamp is for yet. I think it's on auto.

I will give that a try though, thanks.

I have never used a canon p&s so I have no comparison. I've only used Sony and Kodak, but so far the IQ isn't bad. We'll probably go to Seaworld this weekend and see how it does.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:02 PM   #6

I was a hard core Canon fan of point and shoots and I'm honestly floored by the quality of Lumix cameras. That said part of me still wants a Canon T2i eventually when they come down in price but your A500 is opening my eyes to another option that maybe worth investigating when the time comes.

As for the AF Assist Lamp, its the bright red light that shoots out almost like a laser so you can see where the camera is pointing at. Its supposed to be helpful but I find it annoying and tends to leave the red eye effect in pictures so I turn mine permanently off.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:58 PM   #7

It also makes others aware of you taking pictures...and is not necessary when I am taking most of my shots...now if it were more laser like, you know, sniper like, it would be more fun to mess with people with...and less noticeable...used to use mine in the sony dsc 717 but that was ions ago...still love that camera, tho. Keep all the ones I have had.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:25 AM   #8
Super Moderator

turning off the af assist lamp won't do anything to help.

if anything, light before the flash would constrict the pupil which would reduce the appearance of redeye. but thats a red eye reduction pulse of the real flash. the af beam won't really do anything.