Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 10, 2010, 3:15 PM   #1

Default FZ35 indoor performance

I'm pretty happy with this camera so far - I'm trying to test it out in the various places I mostly take pictures, and then try to challenge it. This morning I was challenging it.

Church. Near the back row, so we're talking about I'll say thirty feet from the stage. No flash. Indoor sports setting. The pictures I got using this setting obviously aren't suitable for high-quality printing, they're a little noisy and the whites are a little washed out. But they are just fine for posting on facebook or my blog... so that's a good start and if I fiddle with customizing the settings a little I think I could end up being quite happy.

I won't post any people pictures here since I don't have permission, but this is a shot of some of the decorations on stage.
Attached Images

kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:55 PM   #2

You did a very good job on that photo, Kaaryn-

It just need a bit of post processing. The white page, both reflected your flash, and the overhead spotlight, and was therefore "washed out." All it needed was an exposure correction on the Bible itself, and it looks like this, I believe:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...1_DDwqZ-X3.png

Please let me know if I got it close or not.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:04 PM   #3

kaaryn, will you come give me lessons?
I've only had mine a month, but your shots already look better than mine. LOL.
Roooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 8:44 PM   #4

Hi Sarah Joyce, can you please let us know how you did that?

Cheers,
Mick (first time posting)
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:07 PM   #5

Mick-

Welcome to the Forum- We're pleased that you dropped by.

I simply used Photoshop Elements Ver 6.0. (1) I increased the sharpen overall and brighten the photo a tiny bit. (2) I selected the Bible, and then adjusted the exposure on the Bible, separate from the balance of the photo.

It took me about 2 minutes. Other than first "capturing Kaaryn's photo, so I could work on it, and then saving and re-posting when I had finished the photo adjustment.

Sarah Joyce
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:39 PM   #6

Roooby - Thanks It was an experiment that paid off, I guess... thankfully the pastor didn't seem to mind! I kept the flash turned off though so I wouldn't bother the people in front of me, since I took probably 50-60 shots. Out of those, only a half-dozen or so are really decent pictures, but I did like this one.

Sarah Joyce - Well, now I'm impressed... and a wee bit embarrassed... it never even occurred to me to try that. Me who does graphic design and had Photoshop CS3 on my system. LOL I followed what you said, using the original picture, and got this. I think I'm pretty happy with that. Thanks!!
Attached Images

Last edited by kaaryn; Oct 10, 2010 at 9:43 PM.
kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:26 PM   #7

Hi Kaaryn-

That looks very close to mine save the distracting jam jar on the altar at the far left, and on glint in the middle of the lamp that I took out. See it really was not that hard at all.

Sarah Joyce