Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:09 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - Nature Walk

The girls and I went out for a nature walk this morning so mommy could practise with the macro setting a little more
Attached Images

kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:18 PM   #2

Kaaryn - these are really nice shots! Must have been early in the morning, judging from the lighting? How far away from the subject are you?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:27 PM   #3

Thanks I am looooving this whole business of being able to take close shots and play with focus depth. LOL

#1 I was standing up and using the "telezoom" mode... the next two about a foot, #4 a few inches and the last one, less than an inch.

It was actually noon when I took these... but we're getting into shorter days here. The sun is up close to 8:00 and down before 7:00, and never quite gets right overhead.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:28 PM   #4

Nice. I'd crop a couple a little differently - #2 (potentilla) I'd crop as a portrait to cut the dead space off the left and #3 I'd crop square, again losing some off the left.

#5 looks like the focus isn't in the right place. There's too much of the lower seed head that's not quite in focus but not far enough out of focus to look like it was intended.

I tried a few recently where I forced the flash on but stood well back and used the full zoom so there wasn't too much glare. That worked quite well I think.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:26 PM   #5

Job done nicely, Kaaryn-

I usually try to avoid outdoor photos around noon time. The light is better both earlier and later in the day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:56 AM   #6

H Kaaryn;

About cropping Pic #2:

If I put my hand over the left side of the picture (as to crop), then the flower seems too highly centered, and a different perspective should have been used.

But I like the #2 pic as you have it - it is OK with the left side dead space - and where the background is darkest is where your subject stands out. The eye is immediately drawn over to the beaming flower 'leaning in' toward the center.

Just an opinion. One of those "I like it anyway" shots.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:27 AM   #7

Thanks The dead space was intentional, actually... I like playing with angles and perspectives to see what comes out of it.

#3 has a small story and I probably should have actually taken it wider for a greater impact - those are the last leaves in that entire section of woods and they're so yellow that you can see them from across the field.

Martin - you're right about #5, I actually hadn't even noticed that til you pointed it out. Turns out, it's hard to get the focus just right on a half-inch flower! LOL
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:46 AM   #8

kaaryn - have you tried setting your camera to "point" focus when shooting closeup?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:32 PM   #9

Not yet... I'm working on learning one setting at a time. But I'll look that up!!
Old Oct 16, 2010, 4:59 AM   #10

nice pics - i especially like number 2 and number 4
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote