Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1

Default Autumn in Southern California

This is as close to fall colors as we get in SoCal, so we try to cherish every moment. It was a very dreary, misty day, so I had the WB set to cloudy, except for shot #5 when I switched to AWB. I'm not quite sure which I like better. What do you think? All taken with FZ35.

#1 Hummingbird in the Japanese maple tree

#2 I tried and tried to capture the bright red of this maple leaf without any success, until I switched to point-meter and metered directly on the leaf. And, bam! the red popped out!

#3 Strangely, the Japanese maple tree is turning fall colors and shedding leaves at the same time it's sprouting new ones.....

#4 Found this Magnolia seed pod in a parking lot while out shopping. The red seeds caught my eye.

#5 Maple tree seeds. They were prettier in the summer (light green and pink) but I didn't have my new camera back then! Now they look like alien creatures.

saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:54 AM   #2

That is a great looking series, despite the weather, Saly-

It is hard to really overcome overcast skies.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:16 PM   #3

I really like this series. Thanks for posting. How did you get the shallow depth of field in these pics?
Ajka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4

Thanks Sarah, and yes cloudy days can be challenging but if everything comes out right, the images can be very dramatic, I think.

Ajka, I make sure the aperture is wide open. If I'm in P mode, I look at the f stop the camera selects. If it looks too high, then I go to A mode and open the aperture all the way. This day was dark and cloudy, so the aperture was set open even in P mode.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:16 PM   #5

Very nice shots Saly!
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:22 PM   #6
Super Moderator

these look good saly. as you can see you always get better saturation on overcast days, no reflections to get in the way!

i really like #2 and 3.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:34 PM   #7

Default Another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
Thanks Sarah, and yes cloudy days can be challenging but if everything comes out right, the images can be very dramatic, I think.

Ajka, I make sure the aperture is wide open. If I'm in P mode, I look at the f stop the camera selects. If it looks too high, then I go to A mode and open the aperture all the way. This day was dark and cloudy, so the aperture was set open even in P mode.

Obviously, the hummer picture was taken with the lens extended. What about the other pictures? Did you also use a lot of zoom extension on those shots. The reason for asking is that I'm finding out that bokeh is increased with the lens extended.

TIA
Ajka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:44 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajka View Post
Obviously, the hummer picture was taken with the lens extended. What about the other pictures? Did you also use a lot of zoom extension on those shots. The reason for asking is that I'm finding out that bokeh is increased with the lens extended.

TIA

as focal length increases (so as you zoom in), for a given aperture, the amount of area in focus will be decreased. therefore, yes, it is much easier to get shallow depth of field at a longer focal length. also, the closer you are, the less depth of field. so if you want to get shallow depth of field on these superzoom cameras, you want to use the most open aperture (small f-stop), you want to be zoomed in, and you want to be close to the subject.

just for clarification on a term often misused. Bokeh refers to the quality of the out of focus area, not the quantity. you cannot say you get more Bokeh, you can say the Bokeh is good, the Bokeh is pleasing, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:13 PM   #9

very nice shots - I like 1 and 4 the most.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:50 PM   #10

Those are great pictures Saly!!

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything