Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:54 PM   #1

Default New FZ35 Owner (Somewhat Discouraged)

Hello all. Great board... it is the single biggest reason I bought a new Panasonic FZ35 a few weeks ago. Previous owner of nothing but point & click cameras, so manually adjusting is something totally new to me.

First off the camera is awesome. But, the skills behind the camera don't match up with its capabilities. I tried the settings suggested by Sara (thanks!) in other threads, but most of my pictures just seem off.

2 big areas of concern. My outdoor pictures to me consistently just seem too yellow. Hard to explain, but the colors don't pop and they have an antique look to them:

2nd area of concern is taking action shots. I've kept it in Program Mode, but just not having much luck getting clear shots. And again, the colors seem off:

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.
Christopher_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:12 AM   #2

The sRGB standard does look a bit toward yellow. Ensure your monitor is correctly color adjusted. You may have to buy a colorimeter. In the first PIX the sun (or lighting) is from the wrong direction (ie, shinning on the peoples back). In general you cannot expect the best effect shooting into the light & shadow cast on the PIX side of the subject. Finally, all the PIX shown include large amounts of brown (not lush green) grasses. Light brown can look yellowish or exaggerate yellow.

FZ has a lot of settings available. White balance, color balance adjust, saturation to name a few. The best is to work with some simple scenes/situations and play with the settings. It might be that you prefer your color balance biased to blue and saturation increased as defaults. You might also benefit from a polarizer/UV filter.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:36 AM   #3

Try setting Saturation to +1 and sharpness to +1.
Take a few pictures of the same subject.
Then take a few more at Saturation +2 and compare the difference.

The pictures don't look bad to my eyes.
I use Picasa quite often to post process my photos - the one click fix "I'm Feeling Lucky" button really works well sometimes.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:29 AM   #4

Christopher - Check your white balance setting. Also, these look like late afternoon shots judging from the shadows? If so, that could explain the yellow tint. And for outdoor action, try the "outdoor sports" setting in your Advance Scene mode. Sdromel above already pointed out the sun position issue. I think actions shots with people are the hardest. Always position yourself (if possible) with the sun behind you, and try to anticipate where a "good" action will happen. I agree with Clint that these don't look bad.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:52 AM   #5

Christopher-

First, check the WB setting. It should be set to AWB or Automatic White Balance. In your #1 photo the back lighting also was responsible for some WB shifting.

Apply Clint's suggested settings, use spot focus and spot metering, and that should clear things up.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:05 PM   #6

They look very good to me...adjust one thing at a time until you're satisfied...but to me those look great!

Even after a second look I like both of the shots I think you captured two memorable moments in life and the second photo is just well done...I would be very proud if it was mine...

Shoot the same photo with iA then switch to "P" Mode also...for the action shots you need at least 1/320 or faster shutter speed and 1/640 would be best...

MENU: Pic Adjust:
Contrast 0
Sharp +1
Saturation +1
NR -1

Set Intelligent ISO TO MAXISO400 (Although the FZ35 does well at ISO800)

Last edited by LTZ470; Oct 19, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:22 PM   #7

1 is cool (i like that colour tone sometimes!)

in 2 the focus seems went somewhere else....

for action scenes like this try with the widest aperture available i.e. f[smallest number] with spot focus and spot metering, on the subject's face.

also, lighting should be good enough to achieve 1/300ish or faster shutter speed with 400 or max 800 ISO.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:49 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Great board, which as I said, is the single biggest reason I bought a camera that without support would have definitely overwhelmed me!

The first picture above was taken later in the day and somewhat cloudy. The 2nd picture was taken early on a sunny morning.

I may have been over thinking the white balance. I generally set it with each picture I take instead of leaving it on auto. I will try this.

There's several settings suggestions in the thread I've never touched such as the shutter speed, focus type, etc. Just haven't made it to that level yet of comfort, but I'm going to try all the suggestions.

I will say I've used the IA auto mode, and even though I think my pictures in Program mode are off a bit, the Auto mode is WAY off IMO.

Anyway, great suggestions and I plan to print this thread & give them all a try tomorrow during my lunch hour. Hopefully, I'll be able to post the new results tomorrow night.
Christopher_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:31 PM   #9

Christopher, one caution. Point meter and Point focus settings are great for still subjects but may be very hard to use on fast moving subjects.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:33 PM   #10

#2 would be juxt EXCELLENT if the background was less cluttered! But this is just a matter of composition. And luck, of course!
a.
One question though: where is the ball???
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote