Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:16 PM   #1

Default FZ10

I suggest some of you study the FZ10 manual. Answers to most, if not all of your questions are there. This is an excellent camera when you learn how to use it right. Don't buy this camera unless you're willing to learn how to use it. (it's not hard to do!) Why spend the money for a camera with all the features of the FZ10 if you're not going to use them?

If you're willing to spend a little time discovering all of the features of the FZ10 and learning how to take advantage of them, you won't find a better camera of this type on the market today.
Corney Stuhls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:41 PM   #2

Default How about some info ?

Glad to hear it is a good camera. I wanted to buy it but have decided not to since all I read says it does not work indoors.

Tell me, have you discovered how to use it in indoor noflash situations where the requirments would be about 400 ISO, 1/20 second, f2.8 ? Or is it just "not that kind of camera ?" (I am not particularly concerned about noise since NeatImage and another program can pretty well clean up most things. Adequate sharpness is needed, but it can be pretty noisy and be OK)>

I would love to have one but I must be able to use it low light, no flash as described above. My Pro90 IS works fine under these conditions but (a) at 10x zoom is 3.5, and has only 2.6 megapixels.

(FYI I have a Canon 10D with stabilized coverage from 45mm to 460mm (35mmEQV) - the only reason I want a replacement for the Pro90 is the Canon is heavy, noisy, and obtrusive, (and I like a live LCD).

Have you any info re use under these circustances - or is it just "not this kind of camera ?" Thank you.
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:37 PM   #3

Corney, I want to second your comments about the FZ10 being a superior camera in so many ways. I just sold a 2-year old Canon S-40 to move on, to buy this. 3 weeks earlier I bought a Pentax Optio 555 for my wife's purse, also an excellent camera for what it is.

The FZ10 is (I think) the 6th or 7th digital camera we've bought over the years, selling off the old ones after a year or two and buying the latest and the greatest.

Nothing in life or in the camera store is perfect, but I really feel that the FZ10 gives me much more picture-taking capability than I had before. I am really excited about and hope to keep it for awhile.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 8:09 AM   #4

Humble,
Quote:
Tell me, have you discovered how to use it in indoor noflash situations where the requirments would be about 400 ISO, 1/20 second, f2.8 ? Or is it just "not that kind of camera ?" (I am not particularly concerned about noise since NeatImage and another program can pretty well clean up most things. Adequate sharpness is needed, but it can be pretty noisy and be OK)>
It works as well indoors as any "prosumer" camera does, but could do with having a brighter image in the evf in low light, in manual.
I take indoor pictures all the time and one of mine, taken at ISO 200, 1/15 sec, F2.8 (without flash), is about to be published in the local paper. If that answers your question.

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:06 PM   #5

Default When all else fails

READ THE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!
Chuckiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:46 AM   #6

Default Can anyone tell me...

OK, recognizing that others may have different solutions, or experience, here is what I do..
1) set camera to ASP, shutter priority
2) set to 1/20 sec
3) adjust exposure up as needed, I.E., up to 2
4) make sure camera is in stabilized 2 mode and yellow hand is off
5) set autofocus to not continuous (really not important, could use manual focus too)
6) make sure ISO is at 400; white balance is either at auto or correct mode; color temp adj = off.
7) take picture

Note: I don't know of any camera that will take really fast action shots, indoor or outdoor at 1/20 sec.
I just now have played around with this, lowering the blinds, turning off indoor lights. It's snowing outside and so definitely not that bright through the translucent window covering. I took competent shots at 13 feet/ 12X zoom as well as at 25 feet/ 12X zoom. It just wasn't a problem. I had extra exposure adjustment to spare. Histogram also showed good shot light. Stabilize function allowed clear shot at 1/20 at 12X every time, where other cameras, eg. OM-1, Eos Elan 28-200 would have surely required tripod.
George
George
georgez opinion is offline   Reply With Quote