Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:59 PM   #1

Default FZ35 - What converters produce a non-grainy video?

Hello all,

Got the camera and am (still) currently going through different converters (and yes, spending too much money). These are mostly youth football games consisting of 30-40 twenty second plays. Simple enough however the ONLY converter that produces a clear picture/not-choppy video is the convertxtodvd application. I've tested Corel's application (returned it so forgot the name) as well as Nero, Arcsoft, the stuff that came with the camera and as late as today the AVS Video Editor programs. Again, ALL of them produce a choppy/grainy picture except for the convertxtodvd application.

Any suggestions? While the convertxtodvd is nice, I'd like a few more (uncomplicated) features such as adding music and being able to shorten some of the plays.

I'm frustrated and open to any suggestions.
Johntpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:21 PM   #2

Hello Johntpa. I've been using this to split and convert my videos. I then edit them together using Windows Movie Maker adding music and transitions where needed. It's a bit long winded but the results are good enough for what I need and best of all it's free
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 1:02 AM   #3

Thanks Arrowhead. I'll try it tonight. As for the AVS Video Editor application, is there a format (avi, mpeg, wmv) that is best for what I'm trying to do? These are simply videos to be played on a dvd player-to-tv.

Again thank you for your help!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:02 PM   #4

Are you sure that it is not only a matter of the default rendering settings, which makes the difference between these programs.

I would certainly suggest to use very high bit rates 15 mbit/sec or even 20 mbit/sec when you render your footage - then the videos should come out quite nicely.

Some of my stuff on vimeo (all shot with an FZ-35):
The tree: www.vimeo.com/11345662
with LC55 macro lens: www.vimeo.com/13884313
Zeeland: www.vimeo.com/14488204
The old mill: www.vimeo.com/14577326
autoHDR: www.vimeo.com/15797552
soccer kids: www.vimeo.com/17208358
christmas lights: www.vimeo.com/17912783

Joho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:27 PM   #5

Just tried using Windows Live movie maker (heard it will accept mts and m2ts files) but all I get is icon indicating that it needs to get fixed.

...the search continues.

Edit - tried it with converted .vob file(s). Again not clear/choppy.

Last edited by Johntpa; Oct 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:13 PM   #6

First thanks Joho for the input. I looked at the links attached to your reply and your videos are incredible. If I had the money I'd get the vegas application and be done with it. Nothing I'm testing even offers that high rate of speed.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:39 PM   #7

My husband uses TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 and it works well. I think there is a free trial version if you go to their website. It converts videos to DVD or BluRay.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote