Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEK View Post
Well, I'm just looking for a safety back-up in case of memory card failure,

I'm not sure, if I'm not going on-line but just downloading to the computer harddrive, do I need a computer hookup or can I just plug the netbook into an outlet?
Yes - you can hook the camera to the "netbook" (it's just a smaller laptop).
Mine has a 250 gig harddrive - plenty of storage - I don't need to be online, it's just a smaller computer.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:01 PM   #12
Administrator

If you're on a tight budget, sometimes you can find good deals on refurbished netbooks, too. For example, here's an Asus with a 160GB drive with XP home on it for $189.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220802

More here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...abStoreType=97

Personally, if I were buying another netbook, I'd probably lean towards a slightly larger model with a higher resolution display, as some software doesn't "play nice" with a lower resolution (1024 x 600 pixel) screen. For example, some of the 11+" models have 1366 x 768 resolution displays now. The keyboards on some netbooks can feel a bit "cramped", too (I sometimes "fat finger" the keys on my little Asus Eee PC 900 when trying to type too fast, but the keyboard on the 10" models is little better).

There are pros and cons to any of them (netbook size/weight, keyboard usability, screen size/resolution, CPU speed, video chipset type, memory, battery life, etc.). So, I'd try some of them in a store to get a better idea of their differences and compromises.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:15 PM   #13
LEK

I'm going to look more into the netbooks but for the moment I'm leaning towards keeping it simple and getting one of the simpler Personal Storage devices for around $100, using it strickly as back-up for vacations, and using several memory cards while traveling that I don't delete until we get home and have downloaded everything to the computer, CD's, flashdrives, etc. I'm just not sure I want to worry about a netbook or laptop while traveling, but I may change my mind after looking at them in the store. Thanks for the input.
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:29 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEK View Post
I'm just not sure I want to worry about a netbook or laptop while traveling...
I never travel without one or both. Having internet access is too important to me (being able to access the forums here, check e-mail, etc.), and you can usually find a WiFi hotspot somewhere if you need one. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote