Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:09 PM   #1
LEK

Default portable digital photo storage device vs netbook

Looking for a back-up system for travelling so that I don't lose precious photos if my memory card ever fails. Does anyone still use a digital photo storage device and if so what kind? I know the Epsons are good but they are pretty expensive. I saw some brands for much cheaper on Amazon but the reviews were awful. Anyone know of a cheaper but reliable and easy to use brand? Maybe $100 - $200? Or does everyone just use a netbook or laptop nowadays? It still seems even at 10 inches a netbook is larger, more fragile and less convenient than a portable storage device, but since the prices are around $250 for a netbook perhaps it makes the most sense? Not sure if I want to lug my 17 inch laptop around and leave it in the trunk in the heat of the day, etc, so I would like something small and convenient. Any thoughts?
LEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2010, 5:55 PM   #2

I transfer mine from the card in the camera to my hard drive.

I have an Asus EEE netbook I use when I go on a trip. I move them to the netbook and then copy them to the hard drive when I return home.

Here's a few ideas
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6501_7-...3.html?tag=nav

http://www.delkin.com/products/usbbridge/index.html

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 7:50 PM   #3

I transfer mine to a netbook while travelling. if i want to clear the camera, i make another copy onto a portable usb-powered drive. i file mine by day while on the road. then when i get back to my main machine at home, they get copied to my main machine for the usual organization. i make a new backup on my home backup device and clear the netbook and the rest.

i can't see myself using a dedicated digital storage device since i'll always have a net/notebook with me when i'm away from home.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:25 PM   #4
LEK

Thanks both for your replies. I might buy a netbook as an option but my current laptop is 17 inches and way too big to travel comfortably. Clint, those links you provided are interesting. If I'm reading them right, you can just download the photos from the camera onto a flashdrive? That is exactly what I would want to do, I am not going to be editing photos while on vacation, I just want a back-up in case the memory card fails. Do you know if they work well, I didn't see much on the internet about this. Do you need an external harddrive or is that device all you need? Do you happen to know, if I don't delete my memory card and just keep adding more photos every day, will it re-copy all the photos every day, or can it detect what has already been downloaded? I actually have the same question about any of the stand alone portable photo storage units. If it recopies the same photos every day we are going to reach capacity very quickly on a long trip.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:50 AM   #5

LEK - depending on where you are going, most hotels now have computer stations with network access. Can you upload/backup your photos to a web album, like flickr or picasa?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:55 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I have a Jobo Giga One which is great, however, I'm not happy to trust it (or anything else for that matter) that doesn't let me see the results of the file transfer. I shoot RAW and if I can't confirm that I have everything transferred to two different places then I'm not going to delete a memory card and risk messing up a shoot. I'm planning on getting a netbook to solve this problem as I'm like you and my solution is a 17" laptop (so usually I pinch my wife's 14" for this purpose.... drives her crazy LOL).
Old Oct 24, 2010, 7:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEK View Post
Thanks both for your replies. I might buy a netbook as an option but my current laptop is 17 inches and way too big to travel comfortably. Clint, those links you provided are interesting. If I'm reading them right, you can just download the photos from the camera onto a flashdrive? That is exactly what I would want to do, I am not going to be editing photos while on vacation, I just want a back-up in case the memory card fails. Do you know if they work well, I didn't see much on the internet about this. Do you need an external harddrive or is that device all you need? Do you happen to know, if I don't delete my memory card and just keep adding more photos every day, will it re-copy all the photos every day, or can it detect what has already been downloaded? I actually have the same question about any of the stand alone portable photo storage units. If it recopies the same photos every day we are going to reach capacity very quickly on a long trip.
It looks like it would transfer from the camera to a flashdrive without using anything else. I've never used one. Might be nice to get one and try it out at home before going on a trip. See what their return policy states if it doesn't work for you.

I really like my Asus EEE1005HA - small light - good display - great for trips - 10 hr battery life. They probably have better models out now.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:09 AM   #8
Administrator

The Delkin Bridge is rather "dated" technology, and only transfers at USB 1.1 speeds (very slow) and would require you to carry it, as well as a separate portable drive to copy the images to.

Some old user reviews (from 2005) I found indicated it takes around 10 to 15 minutes to transfer the contents of a 512MB card (which would translate to several hours to transfer the contents of an 8GB card).

Personally, I'd find a different solution.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:39 AM   #9
LEK

Well, I'm just looking for a safety back-up in case of memory card failure, I don't have any intention of editing while on vacation. I'm not going to delete my memory cards until we return home and the pictures are safely downloaded onto my computer and a back-up flash drive. Perhaps the best solution is a couple of memory cards to spread the risk out and a simple Portable Storage Device just as a back-up. Mark, the Jobo Giga One you have, that is a Portable Storage Device, correct? I'll look into those. I'm trying to figure out if I download my photos every day without deleting them from my memory card, will the portable photo storage units recognize photos already downloaded and just download the new ones, or will they download the entire card every day, causing alot of duplication and making the unit fill up very quickly. Anyone know? I guess I'll also have to look more into netbooks, though I do hate to have to worry about a laptop while travelling. we like to travel light and not always in places where we have the ability to go online, nor do I really want to spend much of my vacation on the computer. This may be a stupid question but can I download pictures to a netbook if there is no computer hook-ups where I am staying? I'm not sure, if I'm not going on-line but just downloading to the computer harddrive, do I need a computer hookup or can I just plug the netbook into an outlet?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Administrator

You may want to look at the Stand Alone Storage section at B&H, where you'll find a number of products with built in card readers that use internal hard drives (usually 2.5" laptop drives, sometimes even smaller 1.8" drives) to store transferred data.

They vary in features (and price). I'd look at user reviews to see how they compare (and perhaps download their manuals from the manufacturer's web sites to get more information on how specific features work):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...9&N=4287966885

As for netbooks, you don't have to be online to use one to transfer photos (or even plugged into an A/C outlet if the netbook battery is charged). Many also have built in SDHC card readers now, or you can use an external USB Attached reader (or USB Attached Camera).

But, often, you will find that hotels have WiFi if you do want to get online with one for internet browsing. Ditto for many restaurants, coffee shops, hospitals, etc. Even McDonald's has WiFi available for customers now.

newegg.com is a a pretty good place to find and compare netbooks (but, I'd check prices elsewhere, too, as sometimes you'll find better deals on them).

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ks&Order=PRICE
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote