Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:39 PM   #11

that's a nice looking dragonfly shot. with focus on face/ full body, it would have been better though!
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:27 PM   #12

Thanks Fly (pun? )

How do I get the focus on the point where I want to ? After composing the frame it is possible to shift the focus point to a particular area ? Or does a camera have a fixed focus area and one needs to compose accordingly ?
deepakpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:09 AM   #13

Deepak,

First, congratulations on getting FZ35, and welcome to the Forum.

The answers to all your queries are there in the manual. I suggest you take a full day off to go through the manual in detail, particulary with reference to the most important areas for a beginner - using the P, S, A, M and Macro modes on the dial; achieving focus using the buttons on the top of the camera as well using the joystick; altering the EV settings to get better exposure; and using the zoom.

Practice with all available material in and around home, indoors and outdoors, with and without flash. Try to achieve propper focus and better composition first (the head of butterfly will be of no interest - whereas the full butterfly sitting on a pretty flower and sucking nector would be a great shot). Other things will come naturally in due course of time. The mantra is : practice, practice! All the best!

Last edited by Raghu; Oct 28, 2010 at 2:21 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:41 PM   #14

Hi Martin, did try pressing the focus button ( on top above AF/AF Micro... button) - nothing happens ( tried holding it down for few secs too). Been trying to get the focus point where I want but unable to shift it ( unless I recompose the frame based on the fixed focus point)

Sally, did try point (spot) focus but the + is fixed how do I get it to an spot where I want to ?

Raghu, thx. Did go thru the manual yet to figure this out.

Read Page 49 a hundred times to figure this out!! As per direction I need to depress the shutter button half way - the focus activates - then move camera with button half pressed to get the focus on the spot I want ...NO LUCK
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:51 PM   #15

In P-Mode, I press the button on the top that says 'Focus' just to the right of it. The square focus area on the screen changes so it has little arrows on each side. Then you can move it around the screen using the joystick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakpraveen View Post
Read Page 49 a hundred times to figure this out!! As per direction I need to depress the shutter button half way - the focus activates - then move camera with button half pressed to get the focus on the spot I want ...NO LUCK
Not quite right. point at the spot you want in focus, then half-press the button to lock focus on that point, then move the camera to frame the shot. The focus will stay on the point you first clicked on. You're doing it backwards at the moment.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakpraveen View Post

Sally, did try point (spot) focus but the + is fixed how do I get it to an spot where I want to ?

Place the + on the subject you want to focus on. Depress the shutter half way, keep it depressed while you move the camera to compose the shot. Then press the shutter all the way to take the shot.

Keep in mind, if I'm not mistaken, doing this sets the focal length (distance between your camera and subject), so you can't move around too much once you depress the shutter half way, that is, you can't start walking around with the focus set on an object.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:32 AM   #17

Hi All, Tried clicking few pics based on your inputs,do let me know if you find improvements...if not kindly do point out errors thx
Attached Images

Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:26 AM   #18

Tried this shot in complete darkness ....
Attached Images